Thursday, May 30, 2013

Green Is My Garden

We've had so much rain and for the most part that's good. Everything is GREEN again. Now I need to spend time outdoors planting a bit to get some other colors in the gardens. We were able to plant a few flats of flowers in the front but when we were finished we had only one flat left for the back garden  - we need at least 3 - 5 more. Isn't that always the way it goes? Every year I miscalculate. I guess I'll have to make time for a garden center today or tomorrow. We definitely need more color in the backyard.
 


 
 
Everything is so lush.
 
 
Perennial geranium -  they say it needs full sun but mine grows wonderfully in my shady garden. The blooms only last a little while.


Columbine

 
The annual geranium isn't blooming yet but I couldn't pass it up for 60 cents, LOL. What a bargain. It will flower soon. The garden club in the next suburb over is having a plant sale and I'll be there for some good deals too! 
 
 
 
This little sweetie is so old -  one of my first quilts - but still one of my favorites. Almost looks antique, doesn't it? You can easily make this on your own but I'm thinking of making up a few kits for it. E-mail me if you're interested in buying one and I'll see what I can do.
 

 
 
A few years ago I had gorgeous Hollyhocks in the front. They only lasted a few years. I thought they were supposed to reseed by themselves but they never came back. So I planted more last year and can't wait to see if they took.
 
 
I told my husband I had big garden plans for the awful, scraggly spaces in the back, our "wild" places we've left untended for a few years because we had no time (or in my case, no good knees) to dig or plant more gardens. The knee is better this year so keep a good thought.


Where my wild things are  . . .

Depending upon the heat this summer, this may just be the year to get it done. I always get optimistic at first and then burn out when it gets too hot and can't stand being outside so I told him not to hold me to it. The "wild" may have to be here for another year or two . . . .

Speaking of wild -  my favorite book this year so far (and I've read a LOT of books this year) is Wild  by Cheryl Strayed. I don't often like to recommend books to others because book choices are usually so personal.  Oh my goodness is all I can say. Read the reviews - some of you may like it too. I was very, very moved by this depiction of one woman's strength and her attempt to get her life back together. The subtitle is: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Coast Trail. I've been complaining about my foot hurting me for the past 6 months. After reading this I'll never complain about my feet hurting again.




12 comments:

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Your garden is beautiful. My enthusiasm with gardening starts to decrease as the heat begins to increase. Here's hoping our knees hold out

Annestof said...

Your garden looks lovely. Both the green and the flowers. Leave the wild, it's lovely too. And spare your knees.
Happy gardening! Anne, Denmark

Scrapatches said...

Your garden and your quilts are beautiful ... thanks for sharing this peaceful place today ... :) Pat

jill said...

Hello Kathleen,your garden is lovely as are your quilts among the flowers.I see you have a few of the same plants that I have in my garden.Love Jill xx

Carrie P. said...

beautiful post.

Jocelyn said...

So pretty. There is nothing like being outdoors in the Spring.

Merilyn said...

Your garden looks very lush indeed and I love the pockets of colour too!! I love spending time in the garden but time is always at a premium these days!! I have a few 'wild' places too, and I think they will stay wild for a bit yet!!!!

Rebeca said...

Que gostoso ter uma jardim para chamar de seu! Moro num apartamento e só tenho algumas plantas em vasos. Seu jardim está lindo, tanto quantos seus quilos. E o primeiro quilt parece mesmo antigo!

pandchintz said...

Such a pretty garden. I like the "wild"!

Donna Keating said...

Your garden is a very soothing sight.

Anonymous said...

Love the flowers... good luck with the knees. I just read this book and enjoyed it... I agree with never complaining about my feet again.
Ellen

Sarah said...

My library has it available on audiobook so I added it to my "hold list" - I'm always on the lookout for a good book. Thanks!
I'm a very fair weather gardener who also gets burnt out as the summer wanes. I would rather be quilting!

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails