Monday, May 13, 2013

Happy Belated Mother's Day

We had a very busy weekend at my house and so I did not get a chance to write a post and wish you all a Happy Mother's Day.
 
My best Mother's Day gift came a day early. My son received his master's degree on Saturday and so it was kind of a sentimental weekend for us.  He's been working very hard for 2 years and I was so proud of him. I try not to bore you too much with my kids' successes but sometimes I just have to let that go and share or I'll burst. I'm so proud and happy for him.
 
 
My "brilliant" son can't figure out how to wear the master's hood before the graduation ceremony . . . .
 
 
 
The graduation and reception was downtown at Chicago's Field Museum of Natural History. My son was obsessed with dinosaurs as a child and I found it amusing that the graduation reception was held at one of his favorite childhood museums that has a wonderful dinosaur exhibit. I was hoping to be able to get a good shot of him with one just for old times' sake. They would not let us leave the reception area to vist the exhibits, however. I was able to find a small glass display case with some bones and fossils and pushed him and his girlfriend in front of it to get some photos, LOL.
 
 
Isn't he adorable? He's my shining star and we all love him to pieces.
 
 
I'm keeping my fingers crossed he gets a job. He has a couple of interviews lined up but I know it's tough out there. He enjoys teasing me often that when he gets his first real job he'll be making more money than I do. Ha ha. That doesn't make me feel bad. That's what it's all about, isn't it? I feel I did my job very well and raising my kids to become  independent adults was always a high priority. We both helped prepare him for a life in which he could eventually support himself in doing something he loved and also  - take care of me and my husband someday when we are old, LOL . . . . Just kidding, son.
 
He wants to teach impoverished students and he doesn't seem to care that it's probably not going to be a very financially "lucrative" career. It's where his heart is and that's what matters. For several years he has been working in and interning at Head Start programs and schools in economically disadvantaged areas and hopes to find a position for fall teaching at  an urban school, helping to make a difference in young lives, working with families that are living below the poverty level. Some of the stories he tells about his teaching experiences with the kids almost break my heart.  He knows he is blessed to have had many advantages and opportunities that so many children in this country may not have had and he is able to connect so well with many of the kids and motivate them to learn. We could not be more proud of him and his goals and wish him the best of luck in achieving them.
 
                                                                      ~  ~  ~

“What is more powerful than the love of a mother? What possesses more strength than her humbly whispered prayers? Perhaps only God's hand in answering those earnest pleadings on your behalf.”     -Richelle E. Goodrich

 

 
 
 

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful mothers day celebration weekend

Jans said...

Congratulations with your son.
That must have been your best mothersday present.
Enjoy it.
Greetings from Holland.
Janny Schoneveld

Anonymous said...

Kathy, Happy Mother's Day and congratulations to your son. How wonderful! What is in one's heart and the values a person lives by are a better measure of success than $$$. Many blessings to you and your family. Ann in PA

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Congratulations! You gave your son to very precious gifts--roots and wings.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Congratulations to your son and to you as well. Good news is always worth sharing and celebrating. Well done. A lovely post.

Dora, the Quilter said...

Not that I'd want to burst anyone's bubble since good teachers are sorely needed, but the fact is that after 40+ years of educating impoverished students, not only did I always earn low salaries, but also a lifetime of low salaries translates into not much income on retirement. I should have thought about that before I spent all those decades teaching.
In any case, congratulations to him on that master's degree!

Ingrid said...

I would be shouting it from the rooftops! You and your husband have every reason to be so proud of him! He worked so hard, and I'm sure he appreciated all your support and encouragement! The pictures of him and his girlfriend are sweet. He will have a great influence on so many young lives.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

We are all proud of our children, aren't we! (Very rhetorical question!) Your son gave you a magnificent mother's day present!

Susannah said...

Best Wishes to your son. I hope he finds his place in the world and is very happy. I can imagine how hard he has worked. We have two that have graduated...it is not easy but well worth it!

Susannah

agullainquieta said...

Congratulations to both. Your child has chosen a profession that requires great dedication and generous character. You can be proud of him!
many kisses

Stitching Lady said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stitching Lady said...

Anneliese said...
Isn't that wonderful to have children who are making parents proud.
ongratulations!


quiltgrannie said...

Kathy, as I read your post it makes me think back to the movie To Sir With Love. I'm sure that there will be lots of girls falling in love with your son. Good luck to him!!!

cityquilter grace said...

such wonderful news; we'd be upset if you didn't brag a bit, after all, that goes with mothering too. i know i would and i do...often...LOL...congrats to you all! and you are right about jobs, my daughter is a nurse and cannot find work in her area...

Didi said...

Congratulations to your son and to you the parents for instilling in him the desire to make a difference in the world. So many people just settle for the highest paycheck they can get. I'm sure he will find much gratification in teaching and guiding young kids. Thank you for sharing.

marian said...

Kathy, your son has done you proud and what a handsome lad he is!! cheers...Marian

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails