Monday, November 22, 2010

A Quilter's Gratitude

I used to keep a gratitude journal but that fell by the wayside a few years ago during a time when life just got too busy. I must have felt that I had been blessed enough and didn't need to write down my blessings anymore.

Nothing to be grateful for??

Thanksgiving week is always the week it comes up again and lately I have been reflecting on just how much I have to be grateful for. Loving family, good friends and health are at the top of the list and even though there have been so many stresses this year, there's still much to be thankful for, even when it sometimes seems like there's not. I'm grateful that my illness wasn't more serious than it was and that I was able to recover nicely.

Being grateful for material provisions may seem . . . materialistic . . . but I'm thankful nonetheless to have a house with a bed to sleep in, food on the table, surrounded by nice things and being able to help provide for our family in these uncertain economic times. 

I may not write in a gratitude journal, but I say a silent "Thank you" often during the day. Sometimes it's for the little things, like:  I finished another quilt without having to stop and thread the bobbin, which was almost empty  . . . The dog went out to pee a few minutes before the rain came and so we didn't get wet  . . . Even though traffic was heavy this morning and I was running late for my doctor's appointment, I found a great parking spot right near the door and I got in before it rained again  . . . Or, the grocery store was not one bit crowded last night while I shopped for Thanksgiving dinner food, I finished in 40 minutes flat, and they weren't out of cranberries or cornbread stuffing as in years past! It's the little things . . . .


I know being grateful can seem silly to some people, so "Oprah" if you know what I mean. I don't care. I'm grateful my daughter bought me this lovely journal awhile ago to help me remember to keep track. I'm going to use it.


So what else does this quilter have to be grateful for?

I couldn't quilt for a few weeks because it hurt to sit for too long - so I'm really grateful I now can be back at my machine if I don't overdo it. I'm grateful I took it in for a tuneup before I got sick.


I'm grateful for the automatic threader on my machine, every time I use it.

I'm grateful for all the tools we have to make quilting easier for us than it was for quilters long ago. Can you imagine cutting everything out with scissors and not having any choice but to piece everything by hand? It works for some people and some projects, but only when I choose. I can use modern technology if I wish.

I'm grateful for the abundance of fabric I can choose from to make colorful scrap quilts. Overflowing sometimes and almost never ending.


I'm grateful for the opportunity to have had four books published and that people actually want to buy the books I write and make the quilts I design! And even though I'm a Sentimental Quilter, I won't get too sentimental about it here . . .


I'm grateful that quilters are the nicest people you'll ever meet, much nicer than say, fiction book or movie critics, LOL. Also, some politicians and cable news anchors . . . . I definitely chose the right business to go into.

Look, they're all so nice - listening, enthralled, hanging on my every word. Except for that one lady - I suppose she was probably looking for her camera . . .
As we celebrate this season of gratitude, what are you grateful for in your life? Look around you, there's so much. Me? Today? Kids and puppies, as always. Even puppies with bad hair days.



25 comments:

Hellen Sigurbjörg said...

All you say is so true, and in this thankfulness we find happiness.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post Kathleen, everything you said is true, to be grateful and thankful for what we have. The simple things in life are the best! Happy Thanksgiving to you. Kind regards, Ann ~ Australia.

Heartsdesire said...

I love reading your blog, you are always so inspiring. Not only with the quilts that you design and books that you publish, but your words as well. Our thanksgiving in Canada was a few weeks ago, but I am thankful for all the things you mentioned. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Joanne said...

Great reminder! Yes, we have lots to be thankful for! Happy Thanksgiving!♥

Zuly said...

Muy lindo tu blog! Te visito desde Costa Rica!
Zuly Castillo
http://pedacitosdetela.blogspot.com/

Karen said...

I just love reading your blog, Kathleen. This is a beautiful post and a great reminder of all we have to be thankful for. The journal your daughter gave you is beautiful. I love your little quilt too.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, as well.

Little Welsh Quilts and other traditions said...

I love cutting out with scissors and stitching by hand and really dislike using a machine - Vive la difference!

marian said...

i don't believe it Kathy, yet another thing we share in common, how about that! i started a gratitude journal after seeing an 'Oprah' episode many years ago..we must've watched the same show and got inspired.
Even though it's been years since i've jotted anything down i say my daily thank-yous [just like you]as i'm driving along, when i'm walking, as i sew etc...i guess it's all about being mindful and not taking anything for granted, it works for me as i'm sure it works for you too.
Every now and then i come across my gratitude journal and i read a few of my entries..they always bring a smile to my face.
You have inspired me to jot down a few simple gratitudes in my journal before i head off to bed tonight..thank you :) x

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

A lovely post which made me feel wonderful at the beginning of the day. I also count my blessings everyday and I think it's just an essential part of life, to be aware and to be thankful and then to help others. Thanks, Kathleen!

Anonymous said...

Dear Kathleen, I'm very grateful to read you and to share your ideas, your simple little things. It's always a pleasure to read your new posts. You take the time to explain and give your point of view about the simple things but so important things of life. I consider your posts like glimmer of hope,wisdom and I feel good when I read it (except when you were ill, I was worried about you).I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving for you and your family. Delphine ~ France

Kathleen Tracy said...

Thank you , thank you - didn't I say quilters were just the nicest people?

Juliann said...

Lovely post. We are having a snow day and I was thinking that I might use my time to work on a gratitude journal that I started but left waiting last year. So happy to have discovered your blog.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your wonderful thoughts Kathleen! True happiness is found in the simplest things!!!
Very grateful for you and your blog! Also LOVE all your books. Very thankful that you are feeling well.

Happy Thanksgiving!!


Patty Schroder

Sydney said...

I am grateful for people like you who still know the meaning of Thanksgiving. I too am grateful for family...3 kids all grown and wonderful and for 5 grandsons who make me smile every day.
I am grateful for wonderful quilters like you who have such wonderful talents to inspire quilters around the world!
I would also (selfishly) be greatful if you could tell us where to find the pattern for the beautiful quilt in this blog with the center flower blocks. Beautiful. Please??

Christie said...

What a really nice post, especially for this week's holiday. I too have so much to be grateful for, and I just want to tell you how grateful I am to have found you and your talent that you always share with us. I am also very grateful for the picture of that beautiful quilt you shared today!!! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. HUGS... and stitches

Kathleen Tracy said...

Thanks! It's from the American Schoolgirl Club - see my website or the sidebar for details.

Darlene B said...

I'm thankful for all the same "quilting" things as you - and am especially grateful for my dear hubby and two wonderful daughters (one of which is a quilter!). I'm thankful for every day that the Lord gives me breath! Here's sending a wish to you for a healthy new year!

Louise said...

I cannot believe how fast your recuperation period is passing. I am happy for you and your family. Like you, I feel I have so much to be thankful for. My husband and best friend after 46 years of marriage, two daughters and a grand daughter we are so very proud of(arriving tomorrow from college) I am thankful each and every day for the many blessings I have in my life. My husband and I pray every night to offer up our thanks to our Heavenly Father for being so generous to us all. Our freedom to practice our faith is very high on my list. Beautiful journal your daughter gifted you with. I look forward so much for your new book to arrive..Blessings to you and your family for a wonderful Thanksgiving season.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Wonderful post. We all need to remember to be thankful all year long. Hope you have a super Thanksgiving.

Daniëlle said...

Have you ever read the little poem on the top of my blog about "Thank you"? These little words sure mean a lot to me, so, thank you Kathy, for being who you are, the things you do. Little quilts give big pleasures and they touch so many hearts. Have a lovely Thanksgiving with the ones you love! XXXD

quiltingnana said...

what a lovely post...you are right. It is the little things that are so precious sometimes. Have a happy holiday

Diane said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Kathy. I'm grateful for inspirational quilters like you.

jennifer said...

dear kathy~
maybe i skipped a beat somewhere... but WHERE is the pattern for that wonderful piece in the middle of this post? the one with the 4 appliqued flowers in the centre, and all the tiny hourglass blocks around it?
i am SO in love with that :-)
is it one of your books, or part of your club?
a must make!
much holiday love,
jennifer

Kathleen Tracy said...

Jennifer, it's from the American Schoolgirl Club.

Judith said...

Hello Kathleen,

So much to be thankful. I am thankful that I found your yahoo group. I have enjoyed sewing mini quilts. I wished I had started when My beautiful daughter was young. I am truly gifted with four granddaughters and five grandsons to sew quilts for. Earlier this month I lost my daughter. She was 30 yrs young and left four small children. I am so grateful to have the time spent the day before she passed. If only for a few hours. It was not till three days later that we were inform of her passing. Some things we just all take for granted. I am so thankful that she was in my life, if only for a short time. I thank you for having me in the group with so many creative quilters to learn from. This is all still new to me. I did not know what a quilt was until two years ago at a little quilt show in Rockport TX. You think Christmas just landed in my lap then. Thanks for hanging in there during some trying times and I look forward to sewing more small quilts from your wonderful books in the future. I Thank you for the beautiful work you put in each quilt printed. Kathleen you are creative and I am very thankful to have found the small quilt talk group. My granddaughters love to play with them and I am more than happy to sew them. Judith, Texas

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails