Wednesday, November 17, 2010

I Always Meet the Nicest Quilters

I spent the last several days in Cedar Falls, Iowa, where I met the nicest quilters!


First, I taught  a workshop "featuring" the little Bear's Paw quilt from Prairie Children & Their Quilts in the morning and then gave a presentation later in the evening. I was almost late for the class because it was so cold when I stepped out of the hotel and discovered we needed a little extra time to defrost all of the ice on the car. Brrr!

Here's a happy quilter

I always meet the nicest quilters!

My workshops are always fun because the projects are small enough so that the ladies usually get to finish the top and don't have to go home with another UFO. While they're sewing, I  try to supplement the class with a little history lesson and a trunk show of the other quilts from the book. A nice, cozy little sewing circle.

Each of the quilts turned out differently and I love all of the unique variations of this simple pattern. Perfect for a cold Fall morning!

Someone had been reading my blog and needed to show me HER little Twirling Pinwheels quilt, wouldn't you know it? See, I told you, they're everywhere. Lovely black borders too!

After the workshop some of us went out to lunch and then made a quick stop at a local quilt shop - Lulijune's. Such a sweet little shop, chock full of just the type of fabrics and quilts I love!

Meet LeAnn, who owns the shop. I had a hard time taking my eyes off some of the quilts on the wall!

Thanks for the shop tour, LeAnn!

I told you, I always meet the nicest quilters . . . and then go home with some wonderful memories.

Although the weather on the drive home was cold and foggy in places, and the landscape a little stark, I think the Midwest is still beautiful in November.

8 comments:

Maryjo said...

I wish I could have joined you there...what a lucky Iowa group!

One Second Needle said...

Thanks for this post. It sounds like you had a wonderful time in Iowa. The pictures are great. Thanks for including them.

ria vogelzang said...

What a lovely post! And those great Singer Featherweights!! I also am the proud owner of two of those lovely old lady's..... Such great machines!!
I love on the other side of the ocean, but I would have loved to join you all..... (sigh.......)
Enjoy your day!!

marian said...

what a happy little group of quilters, and some lovely little quilts too...looks like you all enjoyed the workshop!
btw i love the eerie foggy photo :) x

Highland Monkey's said...

Everybody looks as tho they had a great time. Love the mixture of sewing machines on the table.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading your post, wonderful to see a few ladies using their Featherweights, perfect for little quilts!, and even a 'Twirly' mini by one lady, a little beauty! would loved to have been there....ah! but tooooo far away for me boohoo!!!.....Merilyn

julieQ said...

I just really enjoyed seeing all those happy quilters...those bear paw blocks are so much fun!

Joanne said...

Great photos - love the foggy one. ♥

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails