Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Pins and Needles


Well, friends,  it had to happen - my nine-day  Dear Jane sewing streak ended over the weekend. It felt so good to finish a nice stack of blocks. But these streaks never last for me and I knew I needed to move on to something else. Something that involved being able to find things I kept losing. Yes, I needed to do some - here's that dreaded word - ORGANIZING.



“The way to find a needle in a haystack is to sit down.” 
  ― Beryl Markham

We took the tree down and put all the Christmas decorations away and rearranged boxes. While I was at it I decided to get rid of some old things in the basement. After doing that, the organizing bug bit me and I moved into my sewing space. I started small and the first thing I did was organize my pins. This may not sound like much organizing to you but I swear I've always got pins and needles all over the house and it drives me nuts because I can never find the ones I need. They're in this room, that room, in assorted pincushions, boxes, drawers, under the desk, behind and under the sewing machine, etc., etc, etc. Ugh. Not one bit organized. And yes, it affects how I work on a project if I need to use different pins. I have a hard time sewing if everything is too unorganized and when I cannot find anything I get cranky and then give up and don't want to do anything. 

For months, I hadn't been putting things back where they belonged. I was going to do it in the fall but fall got away from me and before I knew it it was Christmas and I still was not organized one tiny bit. I really felt I needed to clean up before I could go on to make more projects. 


What was driving me crazy was the fact that no matter where I looked, I could NOT find my special pretty Clover clear as the sea, blue glass-head pins I love to use when I piece. Yes, the kind that's so fine you can actually sew over them (Shhh).  They're especially wonderful for making small blocks with tiny pieces  like my Dear Janes. I was desperate and ready to go out and buy more. They're not cheap though, and I know I used to have about a hundred of them. But instead of going out I decided to take the time yesterday and just go "shopping" in the house. Ever do that? Once I got started I did good and went through more drawers, pincushions and things and sorted all my scattered needles as well. That's as far as I got though. 

I organized some of my pins in this Fons & Porter pin box with 4 compartments I've had for years and the needles went into a little blue candy tin for now. Someday soon I'll organize those too. You have to start somewhere. 





Ladies, I'm a pinner and I can't tell you how much I love these superfine pins (made by Clover). Along with using a 70/10 needle in my machine and 50 wt Aurifil cotton thread, they make piecing small blocks that much easier. 

For fun - here's a tutorial I found for a cute needle case pattern. It's perfect for sorting some of the needles I use most often. Maybe if I make one like this I'll actually keep track of them a little better. "Put it back where it belongs" should be my motto for 2015.
                                    Diary of a Crafty Lady: Fold-up Fabric Needle Holder






15 comments:

quiltgrannie said...

Kathy, I love those clover pins too. Now you make me want to organize my pins. I love all these great tips you give us. Thanks for the link to that cute needle keep!!

lalaluu said...

I have been hand-sewing labels and hanging sleeves to my quilts for the local guild's show in March. My needles are NOT organized, and I've been thinking about making a needle case. Thanks so much for the link to the cute little fold-up one! Good luck with organizing your sewing space!

Nancy said...

I love reading your blog!! Your honesty is just what I enjoy the most. You tell it like it is, and that is who I am too! As for being organized, I have to put everything away each time I sew because I only have a sewing space and it is rather discouraging to even start, that is why I don't get a lot done! Love those Clover pins....my absolute favorites!! Can certainly understand why you would feel so badly not having them to use. Thanks for sharing the great tips! I have never had those York mints....always been a fan of Altoids. Will have to try them if I see some when out. HAPPY QUILTING!!

Karen said...

All your pincushions are darling! I made a needle case like that a few years ago and I use it all the time. Behind the felt, I slip little notes in about the machine needles, like if it's been used alot or not, and what kind it is...that way, I know those in their cases, are still new. I also put my threaded needles in it, to keep them away from my cats.

Scrappy quilter said...

Such cute pincushions. I love your pins. Mine aren't organized however this post has got me thinking. I just might organize them in a pretty container.

Leeanne said...

I L*O*V*E that pin tin!!

Yvonne said...

Cute needle case, I think I am going to make it too! Love your pincushion in the coffee cup. We call it a kop en schotel in Holland. I think it is a Dutch one, it probably says 'Delft' or 'Gouda' at the back. Am I right?

Jennifer M said...

Kathy I love this post, course I love all your posts:) I know what is on my list...1. make that needle case 2. purchase those clover pins 3. organize! Thank you always for such inspiration:)))

Margs Primitive Quilts said...

I am right there with you and most of the ladies posting. I need to do some serious Organizing too. Now! I have been ruthless in my closet, now the sewing room is next.
I LoVe your post. You tell it like it is. I will have to look up those blue pins you speak of. I love that thread too when I'm piecing. I LoVe the pin cushion. I'm glad I stored my teacups instead of getting rid of them, now I know what to do with a few favorites. Thanks for the link for the pin keep. I'm going to be making a few :) good luck with the rest of the " room". Have a great week .
Hugs Marg.

Anonymous said...

Love the tea cup pin cushion and scissors. I would leave out it in my family room where I hand stitch/quilt. Beautiful.

Anna said...

I need to organize also...but I just want to sew!!! Thank you so much for the pattern link. A friend gave me one and I love it...now I can make some for other friends!

Val said...

Kathy if you like the 70/10 sewing machine needles, you are going to love the 60/8 ones. They are all I use for piecing as well as machine quilting, no matter how big the quilt is.

Liz said...

Like my socks most of my pins seemed to have gone missing in the last few months. I have to see if my local quilt store carries Clover pins. An inspiring blog once again. It has motivated me to at least think about cleaning up my sewing room and open the DJ book I purchased last year. The thought of making all those blocks is a bit overwhelming but seeing your progress Kathleen has at least got me thinking about making a start.

Carole in Nebraska said...

Where did you get the blue Clover pins? I looked on their site and don't see them?

annie said...

I loved your post!
I need some of those pins to try!

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails