Friday, May 20, 2011

Slowing It Down Again

I had a few little setbacks recently and had to go into the ER the other day.  I am feeling a little better today but still having a hard time accepting the fact that my recovery is going slowly and I just cannot do the things I want to do yet. It's a little frustrating (and boring, too) but when I do too much I suffer. So I resigned myself and it was back to the sofa for more prescribed rest to help me heal faster.


I always have my reliable companions nearby - dogs and books, dogs and books.

I just cannot seem to get into quilting yet and have no energy to do much else. The most recent version of Little Women was on TV yesterday and it was a nice way to spend a lazy afternoon. I remember growing up with the classic 1949 version of the movie starring June Allyson, Peter Lawford, Margaret O'Brien and Elizabeth Taylor and I always liked it fine. But I decided I really love this newer version starring Susan Sarandon, Winona Ryder, Christian Bale and Claire Danes from 1994.


The set designs were simply wonderful and I really enjoyed the New England atmosphere, the costumes, the quilts and even the dolls sitting on little quilts in some scenes.




I fell in love with one of the quilts seen in a few of the scenes from the movie and I intend to make a little one like it using a variety of my pink and indigo blue repro fabrics someday.

It looked something like this.

Anyway, if  you haven't seen this newer version of Little Women, it's worth taking a look.  I don't remember what kind of reviews it got in 1994 and I'm sure there are those who say nothing can live up to the original, but I still liked it. I think it captured the period very well.


I've read two novels since I've been home and after watching the movie, picked this one up again  - March by Geraldine Brooks.


Ms. Brooks wrote her novel from the perspective of the absent father from the novel Little Women and the story relates his own experiences during the Civil War. A little graphic about the war in parts but a wonderfully creative take on the story and worth reading if you like historical fiction. 

Have a good weekend! I'm going to send my husband out to the Garden Center tomorrow (before the world ends at 6 p.m. . . . ) for some flowers and then stand there and "direct" while he and my daughter plant them this weekend unless we determine it's still too early (or it rains) in which case it might be better to wait until next weekend. Next week is my daughter's birthday (18! I can hardly believe it . . . )  and we always celebrate the occasion with a family barbeque around Memorial Day. It sure would be nice to have some pretty flowers to show off, wouldn't it?

23 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I am so sorry that your recovery is taking so long. I had some set backs with my back injury after my fall last August. It does take time, and we are always in such a hurry. I hope that you will very soon be feeling better and back to your normal activities. Meanwhile, crank up the DVD's and enjoy the leisure. It doesn't come very often ;-)

btw, I too really love the new version of Little Women. And I recently started reading Jan Karon's Mitford series and have loved them. I missed the boat when they first came out, but none the less, they have held my interest. Pretty soon the Librarian is going to get tired of seeing me.

Kristen said...

I read your post (I own a copy of that movie) and was about to suggest Geraldine Brooks' "March" until I got to the end. I thought it was a great book even though it kind of trashed Mrs. March a little. I'm a big fan of historical fiction and Geraldine Brooks is one of my favorite modern authors - her "Year of Wonders" is pretty amazing too.

I hope you're feeling better soon, or at least enjoying the down time as much as possible.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Why is it when we have so much to do we have to pause our life and wait. Relax and try to focus on what you can do once your feeling better. The library is a wonderful place to take you on a armchair adventure. It keeps your mind going and your heart in a happy spot.I saw the dvd of Little women it was great! Cheri

Diane said...

I hope you have no more setbacks- forced "relaxation" is anything but.
We have a copy of the newer version of Little Women too. My daughter and I love to watch it. (there aren't many movies I can watch over again) Geraldine Brooks is one of my favorite authors as well. I agree with the commenter above, 'Year of Wonders' is amazing and 'People of the Book' equally so.

Cheryl said...

So sorry to hear about the setbacks. Take it easy and just smell the flowers...don't pick them up and plant them!

Kathleen Tracy said...

I have no plans to do any bending for quite awhile so however the planting turns out is okay by me.

I also have Year of Wonders but haven't read that one yet.

Impera Magna said...

Bless you... sending out prayers for continued recovery (no more setbacks)!

Quiet Quilter said...

It's a shame you can't write a book while you are down....like...simple quilts, simple stories...or some such....

WoolenSails said...

I have a hard time, taking it easy, but I hope you can get some rest and start healing. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Debbie

Merilyn said...

I'm so sorry to hear you had a setback in your recovery Kathy, glad that you went to the ER to get checked out. I hope you will go better now and that the rest of your recovery is uneventful! It is a blow to the spirit when things like that happen, you feel as if time is standing still and that you will never move forward, especially after having had gone through what you already have! I can understand the frustration, but each day does get closer to getting back to your old self. Your little four-legged nurses will maintain their vigil without complaint, until you are able to repay them with lots of walks in good time! Prayers coming your way! Take care!

kdduncan said...

Recovery is frustratingly slow...I applaud you, though, for finding the time to post this blog. I'd forgotten about the wonderful china dolls in Little Women. The third doll from the left is my all time favorite head. I had to make myself stop buying her on ebay when I realized that I already had her in a couple of sizes!! The second doll from the right is the better china head, but the other one is ALWAYS calling out to me. She needs a little indigo quilt. The bigger one would be happy with a pink and brown....

Jenny said...

Kathleen, Recovering from a surgery is one of the most frustating things.....keep up the good attitude and you will get there...grins...I too love this movie. It brings back such wonderful memories. When my daughter was little she suffered from very bad sinus infections and she would not feel like doing alot those first few days. This version of Little Women was her all time favorite and we must have watched it a hundred times...seeing the pics or hearing the music always puts me back on the couch holding my precious little girl...who by the way will be 16 next week....I too love the dolls and the quilts, and the picture of all the dolls in a row is my absolute favorite shot. Take care, rest and hope you are feeling better really soon.

Anonymous said...

Dont forget to watch ,How to make an American Quilt too, good recovery movie..

Helene Juul said...

Dear Kathleen. I hope you will have a quick recovery. Take care and dont over do it! I havee never seen this new version of Little Women but will look for it. I have recently purchased your latest book, The Civil War Sewing Circle". What a great book. I (of course) have all of your previous books too ;-)

Anonymous said...

Kathy just take it slow and easy. Don't want an set backs. They will get your flowers planted and that will brighten your weekend. Here you are celebratig your DD's 18th birthday and I am celebrating my DGD's 19th birthdays. Two of them are born 4 days apart. Doesn't seem possible. Memorial Day is always a birthday celebration here. Take care and keep smiling. I know the doggies are loving having you to nap with.

Linda in IN

Litamora's Quilt & Design said...

Hope you recover fast, and that you are feeling better soon.
Take care,

Yarn and Yearn said...

Sorry to hear about the setback - wishing you all the best all the way from little Tasmania.

Elyte said...

Keep focused on that recovery path and as the spring move into the summer you will find yourself in good health again.

Anonymous said...

Best wishes for a full recovery & just follow the doctor's orders and you will soon be improving. Just back from my first visit to the USA with 4 girlfriends. We went to the Paducah quilt show & then to Lancaster County area, whilst there I bought your lovely book, The Civil War Sewing Circle. I look forward to using some of the patterns from your book. from Jenny McH (Australia)

Elin said...

Wish you all the best! This film I will order, I think!

Anonymous said...

Once I found this version of the movie Little Women I too was hooked on it, I adore the sets, costumes, music, acting, it's so wonderful. But I'm in the minority in my family, my mom and sisters seems to prefer the June Alyson version. I like it too, but this newer one is better, IMO.

susan in toronto said...

Ah, the many Little Women. A few years ago, I was laid up with pneumonia and just watched movie after movie, including the 3 best known versions of LW (I was not really thinking straight. Watching Beth die 3 times in a row is probably not the best medecine): 1933 (Katherine Hepburn) 1949, and 1994, the best and truest to the spirit of the book.

Anne said...

I love that version of "Little Women." The scene that always captures my heart more than any other is when Hannah walks past the row of seated dolls just after Beth dies. Hannah pauses, lifts the arm of one doll, and tenderly squeezes the doll's hand. Such a precious, tender moment. Now I need a tissue -- sniff.

I hope you are feeling better and gaining strength every day. Take care.

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails