Friday, May 13, 2011

Home at Last

Blogger and I are both finally feeling better, thank goodness. I came home from the hospital on Tuesday and can't say that I've felt like doing much of anything until today because of the pain.

My abdominal surgery went very well but as I said I was in a lot of pain and exhausted for a week afterwards. There's no good way to get ANY sleep in a hospital and I think the healing doesn't even BEGIN until you go home. They sent me home with a minor dose of a pain killer. I was getting almost NO relief for 2 days and was not able to sit up without cringing it was so bad. So I called the doctor and he increased it a bit. You really cannot heal until your pain is under control. After that I was able to get some sleep last night, the first in over a week. I was grateful and though I woke up in pain because I slept through my 3 a.m. scheduled meds I felt a little more like myself. I had great nurses and excellent care while in the hospital but it makes such a difference being home and in familiar surroundings without those IV monitors beeping.

My caring sisters and my wonderful daughter are taking care of me again while my husband is at work. I have a visiting nurse this week and next who will come in a couple of times to check my incision and progress, which is also really nice in case I have any questions or concerns. I'm trying to remember how it all went last time I had surgery and even though this time I started out in more pain because of a larger incision, I think it's actually going better. Maybe I'm just used to the drill and don't get as frustrated if I can't do something or start to feel bad. I'm more relaxed and know it will get better eventually.


I'm not supposed to bend because of my incision, so there's a trail of stuff I've dropped all over the house that isn't going to get picked up until someone else does it. I finally see the need for a Lady in Waiting! It's so funny - the last time it drove me nuts but now I don't care. Someone will get it eventually and I'm not going to worry about it because I care more about taking care of myself than if there's a pen or piece of mail on the floor. Not worth stretching the wrong way. If I start feeling sorry for myself I just sit down and have a good cry, and that takes care of it and I move on.

I'm in good hands. My one sister went grocery shopping the other day and brought me my favorite ice cream. A surefire healing food, did you know that?? One of my other sisters came over and made me egg salad for lunch (protein) and brought dinner - vegetable lasagna. My friend Julia made us a chicken pie for supper tonight. Yum!


I have a lot of reading to catch up on in ther next few weeks and then maybe I'll feel like doing some hand stitching while I recuperate. All in all, it's sooo good to be home and I'm looking forward to getting healthy again. But first I have to eat all that ice cream . . . .




26 comments:

Lee Prairie Designs said...

WELCOME HOME! Nothing better than your own bed, food, home, puppy and family that will make you feel better and heal faster!

Hugs, Carolyn

Jenny said...

Glad to hear you are home and on the mend. Rest is a sure way to heal, and I agree with you....everyone rests better in their own place!!!! Take care.

Karen said...

So glad to hear that your surgery was successful and that your home recovering. That ice cream sounds good right about now and oh my that pot pie looks delicious too. Your so fortunate to have such wonderful, loving people in your life to take good care of you. Get lots of rest and don't worry about anything else.

Impera Magna said...

Glad you're home and on the road to Recovery! Every day will be easier... glad you feel up to posting... that's a very good sign!

Wendy said...

Hi Kathleen,
I'm so glad to hear you are doing well, I don't know if your ears were burning or not, but we spoke about you in our little guild meeting this AM, so many of the girls now how the Remembering Adelia book and want to make every quilt and project in it. Eat your potpie, and the ice cream and read a good magazine ! Take care
Wendy

Christine said...

Nothing like sisters and friends to help make a girl feel better. Glad you're on the mend.

BTW, just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying looking at your quilt on the calendar this month.

marian said...

Kathy, it's so good to hear from you! there's no place like home, or your own bed, aint that the truth!! ice-cream & chocolate are a great comfort too!
Thank God for sisters, daughters & girlfriends, what would we do without them?
Now all that's missing is a lady in waiting to pick up after you, and if i lived around the corner i'd be more than happy to volunteer :)) hugz, Marian x

Merilyn said...

Glad to hear that your pain in now under control. Sounds as if you have some wonderful people around you to help during this time. Each day will bring you closer to your old self. I hope you are enjoying als that ice-cream and wonderful food.
Ease back into life in your own time!!! Take care!

Quiltn Mama said...

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Nyla said...

Best wishes Kathy, so glad you're on the mend. Hope you're able to do everything you want to very soon!

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Welcome home! I wish you happy healing and fairly fast, too. It sounds as though you have a wonderful support system around you which is the most important thing, I believe.....

Unknown said...

So glad you are home and on your way to recovery. Nice that your have such a wonderful family to help you out. The Chicken Pie looks mighty good!

Sue said...

Glad you are home and being well looked after- You cry as much as you like- It HELPS!

Sunnybec said...

Welcome home, glad you are on the road to recovery. Just don't eat too much of the ice cream and chicken pie!!

antique quilter said...

glad your home and surrounded by caring family and friends...
makes it so much easier. catch up on your reading and just relax it will all get done eventually!
take care of yourself
Kathie

Gerda de Vries said...

Most important that you are home again.
Take it easy and take your time.

Unknown said...

Good to hear you are on the mend, and yes being home will help, along with good ice cream.

Me and My Stitches said...

Glad you are home and hope you start feeling better soon. It sounds like you are in good hands - glad you have great friends and family to help you in your recovery.

Heartsdesire said...

I think Dorothy got it right: "There's no place like home." It's the best place to be when you're healing. And it sounds like you have a great relaxed attitude (I think it's the ice cream) and a wonderful support system. The housework, etc. will always be there, so take your time and get better. It's great to have you back.

terry said...

Oh so happy your home and that everything went well. Sounds like you're getting lots of tender loving care - enjoy it. Missed you and checked your blog daily. Soon you'll be sewing away and working your magic.

Terry in So. Calif

Quilting Corner said...

We at the Quilting Corner are happy you are home and hope you continue to heal quickly. Our prayers are with you.
Fondly, Etty

Delphine said...

Dear Kathleen, I'm so happy to read you again!I wish you to have good time in your home, with dog, husband, daughter, friends, spring garden...Take care of you. Delphine

Sarah Greider said...

Hope you're feeling better soon and back at your machine! The magazine you have on top is one of the best I've seen lately. I want to make EVERYTHING in it!

Anonymous said...

Kathy, I'm glad you are home, Dorthy was right, "There's no place like home". Just keep that positive attitude and soon things will be great for you again. Big hugs, Karen in you know where. LOL

Beth said...

Glad to hear the surgery went well. Glad you are able to put you first and not worry about stuff around the house. Feel better.

Vicky said...

Happy you are back home and feeling better. Just take care of yourself and let others do the hard work!

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails