Sunday, April 7, 2024

Dear Jane

Well, I finally finished putting my Dear Jane top together.  Not perfect by any means, but it is DONE. 


It still needs a good pressing, some thread picking and a few other little things fixed before I add the border for the scallops and then attempt to baste it for hand quilting.

This will take me awhile. I learned so much throughout the process of making this quilt. For instance, reverse applique. curved piecing and paper piecing, along with better basic sewing skills for making small blocks. Not to mention PATIENCE. So now I have to learn how to make a scalloped border - Ugh. Not looking forward to that. Hopefully, it won't take me another 14 years . . . . 


In looking at photos of finished DJ quilts, I noticed that someone in my group used a pretty light print fabric for her  scallop border instead of a solid and so now I'm rethinking the muslin/ecology cloth I was going to use for mine. Decisions, decisions . . . 


One of the many perks of having the Electric Quilt Dear Jane software is that it allows you to print out these assorted pages with pretty borders for keeping a Dear Jane journal or to just use for notes on your sewing journey. I’ve kept my own notes in a binder since I started in 2010 but I’m patiently waiting until I finish the entire quilt to copy them down onto my pretty pages.




After I finished I took a little break and just played around with some extra blocks from the recent basket sew along and made this little mug mat. They always look so cute displayed around the house. Easy stitching . . .  





There's some Dear Jane motivation in my Facebook group on Fridays as some of us move forward and make progress. If you're interested in starting or just really want to get back to working on your blocks, join the conversation as we motivate each other to work together on this wonderful quilt. Trust me, if I can finish it, you can too. Kathleen Tracy Quilts FB group. I'll keep you up to date.

                           









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats, It’s beautifully done. You must be thrilled!! Now relax as you admire it.

Susan D said...

Oh excellent. And so familiar. It feels exactly like mine, and I've notice in the past we've used some of the same fabrics. Certainly they have the same spirit. 14 years, eh? Mine is 12.5, and not triangles.

Well done.