Sunday, March 24, 2024

Crafty Progress - Catching Up

This is a repeat of the post I wrote last week  For some reason Mail Chimp, the email service I've been using for a couple of years, is not sending out updates to those of you who subscribed by email. I tell them when I update my blog and they send out emails to everyone who has subscribed. I can't do that myself. I signed up myself so I could monitor when the emails go out and I never get updates so I assume it is not working. So I apologize - many of you probably are not getting notices through email when I update it. 

Not sure what to do about this so I am repeating this post and trying to send it out again. Sorry to have to inconvenience you now with multiple duplicate emails. If you actually get this, it would help me to know. Leave a comment if you would be so kind. I have no idea who reads blogs anymore or if I should just stop blogging altogether. Sometimes it's more work than I want to handle. 

 - - - - - - - - - - 

March 20, 2024

I've been pretty lazy about blogging lately . . . . If I post anything anywhere it's usually on Instagram. Quick and easy. Post a picture, write a comment. Done!  Blogging takes me so much longer to write and upload photos and then edit them. I'm not sure if anyone even reads blogs anymore so it almost seems like a waste of time. But I do know some of my blog fans don't do Facebook or Instagram so I've compiled some of my Instagram posts to catch you up -  

In February I made a small basket quilt for the basket sew along but haven't quite finished quilting it yet. Don't you love these prints??  That border is a very old Judie Rothermel fabric. The pink is French General. 



I quilted it a tiny bit then moved on to something else that caught my eye as I was cleaning up some of my fabrics and patterns. 


I thought I would try a little cross stitching for a change of pace . . . I'd forgotten how relaxing it is to stitch like this. I have a few of these mini Blackbird Designs from awhile ago that I started but never finished. (Hmm . . . do you see a sort of pattern here??) This one is my favorite. Can't imagine why I started it and then just let it go, LOL. I'm pretty sure most of these designs are out of print now. I really want to make them all! (X stitch piece underneath is Prairie Schooler Village Sampler, waiting to be framed.) 


Slow progress for sure but this one is just so sweet maybe I'll actually finish this time. Good thing it's a small one . . . Blackbird Designs, Down in the Valley pattern.



I'm patting myself on the back right now. I needed to take a little break from quilting and this was the perfect solution. Hoping to maybe start another little Blackbird Designs project. Question: Does anyone today still work on Aida cloth?? I've been away from cross stitching for so long and it seems like it's all done on linen now. I feel a little out of the loop. I love the look of linen but I'm afraid to try it because I have retina issues in one eye and my eyes strain easily. Seems daunting to me. Any suggestions? What works for you?


Finished! It only took me a week. But I'm not sure of the exact finish - I temporarily placed it into a frame. I may decide to make it into a small pillow/bowl filler. And a part of me thinks I should try to make a few more and display them on a wall. We'll just have to see how it goes. Wonder which one will be next?? (My Schoolgirl Sampler quilt is in background.)  

As I was thinking about my next little cross stitch project I got a little sidetracked. 

I keep this poster in my sewing room to remind me to work on my Dear Jane quilt.  It's been sitting in my sewing room just waiting for me to find the time to work on it again. I forgot exactly why I stopped at a certain point but I set it aside about a year ago and then got busy with family stuff and didn't have time to think about it. So, yes, I'm back working on it again.


The center is completed. The triangles are sewn into rows. They just need to be assembled. I love this quilt so much - much more than cross stitch I realized. It took me a little while but I remembered why I suddenly stopped. It wasn't because I was blocked or anything. I ran out of fabric for the narrow border that is used to connect the four borders to the top. I wanted to use the same fabric I used in the blocks (Ecology cloth, a tighter weave of muslin with those tiny flecks). I remember checking last year and it didn't seem to be available at any of the shops that used to carry it so I probably stopped looking. But I searched Google and found a place right in my own backyard that carries it. Vogue Fabrics, just north of Chicago, had exactly what I needed. So I drove over there and bought a few yards and now I think I'm set. I'm pumped to sew this little strip between the parts so I can then go on to prepare it for quilting. Not saying it's going to be finished anytime soon of course but it's a huge step to get that much closer to it being an actual "top." So now cross stitch has to be set aside, all other UFOs have to be set aside while I tackle Jane again. Honestly, I think the hard part is over once I get this top sewn. Now I'm seriously pumped about the challenge ahead.

Dear Jane progress: Left side triangles attached to center. With a crazy narrow 1/4" border in between. I'd be lying if I said this was easy, getting those triangles to match up with the sashing. The 1/2" sashing looks quite large in comparison. I do love making this quilt, but . . . it's such a humbling experience, LOL. Finished is better than perfect.

These are photos of the original Jane Stickle quilt from 1863 - 



I love this quilt so much and every time I look at photos of it I feel a rush of emotion and a strong desire to try to finish mine. Some quilters in my Facebook group Kathleen Tracy Quilts are feeling the same. Not everyone is completely self-motivated so I designated Fridays as Dear Jane Motivation day in the group since we all seem to need a push now and then to keep going. If you're stuck on your blocks or triangles or want to start a Dear Jane quilt or just need encouragement to pick yours up again, join us! I used to host a Yahoo Dear Jane group a few years back and sewing along with others who also loved the quilt really helped me make some good progress. But Yahoo shut down and we all had to manage on our own after that. It's a whole lot easier if you have quilters sewing with you, giving you a little nudge every now and then. If you're interested in continuing or starting a Dear Jane quilt this may be just what you need. I'm not going to be teaching you how to make the quilt or anything - we'll just be giving you encouragement and support to keep going and possibly a few resources for help if you need it. This is such a wonderful quilt and, I have to say, an incredible journey. We can do this!








28 comments:

Marsha B said...

Thanks for the update! I am one who reads blogs but am not on any of the other social media sites. I feel like I miss out on a lot of fun stuff but don't want any extra exposure online. I enjoy reading your blog, I love all of your projects. I quilt and do cross stitch. I always use Aida for my projects, it is much easier on these old eyes and looks just as nice when finished. A lot of stitchers still use Aida and as long as you are enjoying what you are stitching, no one else's opinion matters. Do what makes you happy! Your Dear Jane is amazing, keep working to finish it.

Chris K. said...

I really appreciate those of you who write blogs. I don't do Facebook or Instagram. I read blogs through Feedly, so the broken email doesn't bother me.

I am using Aida for my cross-stitch project. I wanted to be able to see what I was doing. A headlamp helps greatly. I quilt in the afternoon and cross-stitch in the evening.

Your Dear Jane quilt is fabulous. It must be exciting to be almost finished.

Susan said...

Yes, I got your email and jumped right over to your blog. I still enjoy blogs! Instagram is good when time is short. It always kickstarts ideas for me. But I feel connected when I read a blog.
Flor example, you talked about putting things aside sometimes. I started the schoolgirl sample with the stitch along a while back. But my sister needed help with a project, so I put my schoolgirl aside. Then I decided to do a little cross stitch for Halloween (and I don’t use Aida anymore. I like the look of linen. I have beginning cataracts and the threat of glaucoma. You wouldn’t believe how many bright lights around my chair it takes to stitch). And your cute Blackbird design reminds me that I have a Blackbird pattern and all the supplies ready to go, but I put it aside because a friend said she would help me improve my knitting skills.. But now I’m feeling a hankering to finish my schoolgirl quilt, so I will probably put my knitting practice dishcloths aside, and finish up my quilt! See - connections!

Debby said...

I got it both times. I read your blog every time you post, so I hope you keep blogging. 😊

Anonymous said...

Your cross stitch is very nice. I am piecing another Schoolgirl Sampler. For some reason, it is going slower than my first quilt. It's a fun quilt
Bonnie

Mary H. in WI said...

I love your style and enjoy your blog very much. Although I don't often work with reproduction style fabrics I do get the urge occasionally and turn to you for inspiration. So thank you for sharing your time and talent. And yes, I do cross stitch on Aida cloth because anything smaller would cause considerable eyestrain, and even that is getting harder lately. Although linen looks nice, I think the finished piece done on Aida looks just as well. I received the March 20 blog post by email today.

Anonymous said...

I read your blog and love it! Thanks

Anonymous said...

Yes, I've had the email today. I thought it was quiet, but without a reminder I forget! I also don't use Insta or FBook, so I appreciate seeing the emails.

I had the Dear Jane book years ago, loved looking at the pages, but not sewn it - great to see your almost finish.

Thank you!
Kerry

Anonymous said...

I received your blog post, thank you! I am using Aida when I cross stitch because I too have a retina problem. I love the linen look but for now, will enjoy others finished linen work.

Connie said...

Please continue to write your blog.Like many others, I don’t do Facebook or instagram. Know that the time you spend writing your blog , is very much appreciated. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Please continue to write your blog. Like many others, I don’t do Facebook or Instagram. The work you put into your blog posts are very much appreciated!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy,

I am so very glad and also very sad to know that I am not the only person having problems with MailChimp blog deliveries.

It has been a frustrating and annoying problem for a number of months. Many of the blogs I have received for years no longer arrive including your Sentimental Quilter posts. My quilt guild newsletters no longer arrive. The common link is that they like you use MailChimp.

I've been researching ways to solve this problem and have had no success so far.

I do hope you continue to write and send out your blog someway, somehow, as I love reading it and your books.

Happy stitching,
Janet

abelian said...

I also read your blog, and many others, through Feedly. I’m not dependent on receiving an email. I prefer blogs, as I don’t do either Facebook or Instagram. So nice to see you again! Dot

Shirleyf said...

I always read your blog, but don't comment very often. I look forward to them and the little quilt projects that you share.

Kristen said...

I received your email and read your blog. I truly appreciate the effort and time it takes for you to continue writing your blog. I am always inspired to start or finish something I have been working on as well. Thanks again!

Heather said...

I received your blog, enjoy them very much and hope you continue !! Always so informative and love all your pictures. Happy Quilting.!!

Mary Ann said...

I received your blog. I recently got back into cross stitching. After many years, I'm finding it a bit challenging but will persevere.

Anonymous said...

Great to hear from you again. I only read blogs, so look forward to all of your posts. I signed on originally because of the boost with Dear Jane postings--I have one in progress as well--but not as far along as you! Also have been working on making basket blocks. Really like the Civil War pattern I bought from you. Your counted cross stitch is very enticing--but I had better not start another project, as I have a few of those in progress!!! Happy Stitching & thanks for taking the time to write the blog posts and all the work that involves.

Kathleen Tracy said...

Thanks so much for all the comments. I did finally get an email notification myself so I know it worked this time.

Anonymous said...

I have both emails today Kathy. I always read your blogs and hope you continue to write them even though it is extra hard work for you
Thank you for all the small projects you give us, for all the tips, photos of beautiful small quilts and for your time.
Liz L

Carol in Texas said...

I just finished reading the blog of Pat Geary….Pat’s Crossstitch Corner. She has talked about why she is using Aida and she also uses some of the Even weave fabrics like Lugana. The Blackbird designs are timeless and you are fortunate to have one of the old patterns that may not be available anymore. I watch a lot of Flosstube on You Tube and have become a crossstitch nut! I stitched years ago when Aida was the only fabric mentioned. Now the crossstitch world has exploded with new fabrics and flosses and so many new patterns. It is amazing!

Judymc said...

I received your blog yesterday in my email. I always love reading your blog and seeing the wonderful quilts and projects you are working on. You always inspire me to get my Dear Jane blocks out! They've been languishing for years! I don't do Facebook and rarely go on Instagram. I do read selective blogs, and yours is one of them. Keep up the beautiful work and if you just post your Instagram photos, I'm good with that.

koberg said...

Just to let you know I always read your Blog Posts as I'm not an Instagram user so hopefully you will continue to write your blogs but understandable if you don't as time can be so limited and you must do what works best for you.

countrylogcabin.blogspot.com said...

I just started doing some cross stiching too. Haven't done any for several years and I'm starting with "Simplicity" by Little House Needleworks. I think I need new glasses though beause I'm having trouble seeing the tiny holes. Your little house is so cute! Your Dear Jane looks beautiful! I made one about 8 years ago - it took 2 1/2 years to finish and it feels so good to have done it.

Jackie said...

I just found your blog this week And I do all reproduction fabric and civil war quilts So I absolutely love What you write about. I already started one of your little quilts,the blue and white scrap quilt.
I look forward to more.
Jackie

Anonymous said...

I received the 2nd update but not the first. Please please please do not stop blogging as I favour blogs, enjoyable to read. I have Facebook but do not use it for anything other than keeping up with grandkids so no instagram, twitter or whatever else. Keep up the good work it’s inspiring

Sophiemom said...

Have a beginning of Dear Jane so really enjoyed this post. I, too, mostly follow bloggers so hope you continue to post! Love your work!

Liz B. said...

Good morning Kathy, I love your blogs, though I had not received a notification about new ones for some time. Please do not feel you have to write them just for me though! LOL. I enjoy cross-stitch too and love the one you have just finished, congratulations. It looks lovely in that frame.
Very best wishes, Liz B. in England.