Monday, April 3, 2023

Where's Spring?

We've had so much rain and cold weather here in the Chicago area lately. Spring just does not want to get here!  I know I say this every year. But this year . . .  it's all been a little too much to take at times. Maybe Mother Nature is waiting to see just how much we can take and how long we can go on complaining about the weather.


                                 


No flowers. Just puddles and mud.

If you're like me and live in an area that has seen way too much bleakness and cold this year, getting impatient for a true springtime to arrive, here's a free pattern for a cute little flower quilt that may uplift your spirits and keep you busy. I designed it years ago for my old Yahoo group and thought I'd resurrect it. I'm hoping that as soon as I finish writing this blog post the sun will miraculously come out and we'll be there already.


This little project is so cute and it's very easy to put together. I played around and made a sample block yesterday.  Just make Snowball blocks and use a different color for one square for the flower center when you put 4 blocks together. Download the pattern here and you'll see directions for making the blocks in two sizes.



To make the block, mark diagonal lines onto the small squares and sew to the corners of the larger square. Add one square in a different color for the center.



Flip and press the corners open. Using a little dab of water along the seam while pressing will help make it lie flat. 



Trim the seams to 1/4".


Make four of these units, arrange as shown and sew them together with the contrasting pieces meeting in the center.



The pattern gives you directions for two different sizes. I made the 6" blocks a few years ago and this time went smaller and made 4" ones.



Such a cute little flower, isn't it?  

You can add a button. Or a stem and leaves by appliquing  them onto a plain block. Then fill your house and thoughts with flower blocks and quilts and maybe spring will arrive here for those of us in the midwest. I'll keep wishing and hoping . . . .










4 comments:

Robin said...

Sweet little quilt - thanks.

Anonymous said...

I’m in southern Ontario not far from you Kathy so we probably share the same weather. This morning I saw daffodil shoots peeping through the mud. Almost there. Thanks for the cute pattern
Liz L

Anonymous said...

What a nice little block! I make small quilts for Linus, I will experiment with this one to get the correct size. We fini sh them at 36 inches. Thank you for sparking an idea👍

Anonymous said...

Muchas gracias, está muy linda!