Friday, September 2, 2022

Sampler Row Quilt Sew Along

 

Quilters - I'm excited to let you know that I'll be hosting a new sew along in my Schoolgirl Sampler Facebook group beginning on Friday, September 16, 2022 called the Sampler Row Quilt Sew Along. 


Row quilts have been very popular for awhile now. Some of you might remember this as a Mystery Quilt (Aunt Addie's quilt) I did several years ago. But those who are new to my blog, books and patterns probably missed it. Over the past couple of years, I've been asked by those who missed out to re-release the patterns. I decided that having another sew along might be a better alternative. All of the blocks used for making this quilt are ones that are now in the Schoolgirl Sampler book and we'll be using that book as a guide. FYI - it's on sale right now at Amazon.com. (Of course, if you'd like a signed copy : ) those are always available on my website or in my Etsy shop. )

                            

I've designed this new sew along as a 10-week project. Making the blocks together on a weekly basis worked well for many of you when we did the sew along for my Schoolgirl Sampler quilt and that's what we'll do again in the group. Mind you, this quilt is smaller and will take much less time. There are only 36 blocks - six blocks per row set in six rows with sashing and borders. The finished quilt will measure approximately 44" x 50". If you make six blocks per week, you'll have all the blocks finished in six weeks. Pretty doable. Then the next four weeks will focus on sewing them into rows and then sewing the rows together with sashing and, finally, adding the borders.

I know many of you loved making the Schoolgirl Sampler quilt and this is another opportunity to work with your favorite small blocks and make something a little different.

Note: we'll sew along in my Schoolgirl Sampler Facebook group. If you're already in this group and you haven't made this one yet, then join in the fun. (Note: You will need to acquire the book for the block patterns before you join the group.) Those of you who already have the book but are not in the Facebook group can just follow the directions to make the blocks.

                              

      

Here's the fun part - make your quilt using your favorite 4" blocks and favorite scraps. It does not have to be exactly like mine. If you are interested in making a quilt exactly like mine, here are the blocks I used from the book: Blocks 4, 14, 21, 36, 47 and 70. 


This was one of my favorite Mystery Quilts! 


There are quite a few options: Make the row quilt with green and red fabrics for Christmas. Or try a two-color quilt in red and white or blue and white. Orange, rust and warm colors for fall?? Lots of possibilities. If you're up for this, just join the sampler Facebook group for more info. We'll get started on Friday, September 16.



*  *  *

Here's a little more fun Sampler news - one of my favorite quilt shops, Ye Olde Schoolhouse in Cedarburg, Wisconsin, is hosting a monthly Little Quilts stitching group on Fridays and Saturdays using some of the small quilts from my Schoolgirl Sampler book beginning in October. Check the website for more details and times. The shop is a little north of Milwaukee and easy to visit if you're in Wisconsin or northern Illinois. Looks like Jeanie made her own row quilt!

                                          

If you've wanted to but haven't gotten around to it yet -  here's something you might be interested in - Stitchin' Heaven, a quilt shop in Texas, is doing my Schoolgirl Sampler quilt as a Block of the Month starting in February 2023. I've heard that their BOMs have great fabrics (in case you're a quilter who doesn't have any fabric or scraps - Hah!). Might be fun to sign up and get fabric in the mail every month to encourage you to make the blocks. Here's the info. 







                          

It's a simple and fun quilt to make and I love using it as a small lap quilt on my sofa or draped over my bench.  Hope you'll join us. 

Have a good weekend!



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning! I am new to your blog and absolutely love your style of quilting. I purchased your School girl sampler book with hopes to make it soon.
I am wondering if there is anyway we could also follow your quilt along on your blog instead of facebook? So many of us are not on facebook and don't want to be. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I definitely agree about not wanting to be on Facebook. Even though you can make everything private, a lot of people just don't want to go there.

Jan said...

I'm another one who loves quilting but not a user of facebook so miss out on lots of projects like this.

I realize people can use facebook unaminously but I prefer to have absolutely nothing to do with facebook.

Kathleen Tracy said...

I respect your opinions and I would love to accommodate everyone. I'm not a fan of Facebook either. But I use it for the groups as this is the best way I know of to connect with other quilters and host my sew alongs. A sew along requires a certain interaction among quilters to be enjoyable. My blog is not a good way to do this.

Kathleen Tracy said...

P.S. - Those of you not on FB can easily sew along by following the book on your own. All of the block directions are in the book. There are no free patterns. If you read the blog post you'll see how we're doing this. We'll make 6 blocks per week for 6 weeks, then sew them together into rows after that. I mentioned the blocks I used for my quilt but you can make your own choices about which blocks or colors to use.

Anonymous said...

I didn’t realize the blocks for the row quilt were in the Schoolgirl Sampler book. I remember making two rows of blocks or maybe a few more but never finished. Have to search around for them as it’s a lovely row quilt.
Liz

Mary said...

Found my book, READY TO GO!
Mary

gaye ingram said...

How do I sign up for your blog or get regular notification? Just love it!

Kathleen Tracy said...

Gaye - go to the right side of my blog and you'll see a link to "Follow by e-mail." Just follow the directions to sign up and you'll get an e-mail notification whenever I post something new. Or sometimes two or three e-mails, LOL. It doesn't always cooperate when I ask it to.