Saturday, March 18, 2017

Celebrate National Quilting Day

Happy Quilting Day! We're quilters and we get our own day, how about that? Whatever you do to celebrate today, have fun. Since I have quite a few new blog and Facebook followers, I'm re-posting my free pattern for a cute mug quilt that I made to celebrate Quilting Day a few years ago. I've already made these mug quilts below so today I'm going to work on one of my three (!) remaining Dear Jane blocks for the center of my quilt.

So, if you have nothing better to do, I'm inviting you to sew along with me today. Aren't these mug quilts cute? You know I love making small projects and sometimes it's just the thing to get your creativity going.   A mug quilt is something I'll always use and it's always nice to have a few extra lying around just in case. What fun to serve someone a cup of tea with a cute mug rug and see them smile and say "Oh, how sweet!"
Here's how to make this one yourself.




I have to say I got a LIFT from making these.

Ready? First, you'll need some good scraps. Choose some of your favorites and put them aside for cutting. You know how partial I am to blue but if you're not, use another color for your theme. Or, just make it all scrappy. If you prefer lighter colors, then make yours with a light print instead of the black background. I hope some of you do this and show me. I'll be waiting for pictures.



Scrappy Star Mug Rug

Cutting

For the background of the star (I used black prints), cut 
           4 squares that measure 1 1/2"  x  1 1/2"
           4 rectangles that measure 1 1/2"  x  2 1/2"

For the star points (colorful assorted prints), cut
           8 squares that measure 1 1/2"   x   1 1/2"

For the star center (purple), cut
           1 square, 2 1/2"   x   2 1/2"

For the side borders (blue), cut
           2 strips, 1 3/4"   x  4 1/2"

For the backing, cut 
            1 piece of fabric, 6 1/2"  x  8 1/2"

For the binding (brown), cut
             1 fabric strip, 1 1/4" wide

Piece of thin cotton batting, 6 1/2"  x  8 1/2"

Make the Block 

1.  Draw a diagonal line across the back of each 1 1/2"  x  1 1/2" scrap square you've picked for the star points.

2.  Place one 1 1/2"   x  1 1/2" scrap square on top of one end of a BLACK print 1 1/2"  x  2 1/2" rectangle, right sides facing. Sew on the line and trim to a 1/4" seam allowance. Press the triangle toward the corner.


Place another 1 1/2"  x  1 1/2" scrap square on the other end of the rectangle, right sides together, and again stitch on the drawn line. Be sure that the diagonal line is oriented in the opposite direction from the first piece. Trim to a 1/4" seam allowance and then press the triangle toward the corner. Make four of these flying geese units.


3.  Sew a black 1 1/2"  x  1 1/2" square to each end of two of the flying geese units and press the seams toward the squares. Sew the remaining two flying geese units to each side of the 2 1/2"  x  2 1/2" center square, and press the seams toward the square. (Here's a sample I just stitched up using a red center square.) Sew all of the units together as shown below.


4. Trim your star block to 4 1/2"  x  4 1/2". Sew a blue fabric strip to each side of the block. Press.  

5.  Layer the quilt top, batting and backing, and baste or pin the layers together.

6.  Quilt as desired. I quilted an X through the block and a square in the center. Then, I divided each border into 4 segments with a washable white marking pen and quilted an X in each segment for a diamond motif. 

7.  Add 1 1/4" binding using your favorite binding method. 


These were so much fun I had to make two. Have fun! When you're all done, sit back, put your feet up and have a cup of tea or coffee and say "Ahhh, I love being a quilter." 

14 comments:

quiltgrannie said...

Happy Quilting day to you Kathy ~~ Wow!!! You must be so happy to only have three blocks to go on your DJ!!
I am proud to say I am the owner of one of those sweet little mug rugs you made and I use it every day. I only have 10 more churn dash blocks to make before I can put together a lap size quilt I'm working on which is large for me. This is the perfect day to get it done!!!

Kristine said...

Happy National Quilt Day. Thank you for this mug rug pattern. I love everything about it, the colors you chose are my favorites too! BTW, Lemon Lift is my favorite tea flavor! I will be making a mug rug and celebrating this quilting day with a smile on my face. thanks again!

susan hemann said...

very sweet! thank you!

Sandra said...

I love these mug rugs and how they look with your Tea for One ~ teapot and cup. A great way to take a break from quilting (having tea); and the mug rugs are great gifts to have something special to share with friends and family.

Midge Norman-Barker said...

This little mug rug pattern came just in time! I finished my mystery blocks last night and I've completed my pinwheel quilt for the month. I think I am going to make a couple of these today and save them for teacher appreciation day gifts! Happy quilter right here! Enjoy your weekend!

Amy Jepson said...

What a happy surprise! I recently went looking for this pattern on your blog and couldn't find it!!!! Perfect project for today, many thanks!!!

Connie said...

Thank you for sharing your tutorial. I am a newer reader / Follower but used to also read / Follow in the past when I was writing on another blog. I chose to end it back whenever that was and recently have returned to blogging so I started over. In the interval of time I didn't spend much of my time reading blogs but these days I do try to find time to do some catching up when I can.

Yvonne said...

I love your mug rugs!
We had a Dear Jane day today on worldwide quilting day for the 4th year in a row. It was a day well spend with friends! You can read all about it on my blog.

Betty said...

So charming, I'm going to make some for my quilting friends for Christmas. Thanks,

NancyRose said...

So nice !
I love your mug rugs
Thanks

liz said...

Thanks Kathy. I made these when you first posted the pattern. I went to a Quilt show'

Clare said...

A lovely mug rug. :) My copy of your lovely book `Small and Scrappy` so have been looking through deciding which one to make first. :) I`m sorting my scraps/fabrics for `Home Mystery QAL. Happy Stitching.

Unknown said...

Muchas gracias para mí también a sido un placer hacer este proyecto 💕

Vickie said...

Thank you, this is the one I was looking for. Thought I had saved it in a pdf, but couldn't find. Love the look and your colors, got my blacks out, ready to play!

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails