Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Everything's Moving Along


Slowly but surely . . .


I decided I'm really not crazy about hand piecing these small Dear Jane blocks. I'll do it if I have to but I'm very clumsy at it and need lots and lots of practice I guess. Larger blocks might not be so bad. This block seemed to take forever and it's not even that difficult. Maybe it will look better once I sew on the triangles, square it up and press it. 


Kudos to all the quilters who have hand pieced and hand quilted the entire quilt. The fact that I stitched many of mine by machine does not bother me at all. I know I would not have gotten this far if I had to do it all by hand and hadn't taken advantage of my machine or paper piecing. Much easier for me. 


That blue one sure has some wonky corner piecing but I still love it and think it's looking good. I swear if someone had told me ten years ago I'd be doing stuff like this (taking all this time to make so many of these small blocks with such teeny tiny [and often difficult] pieces) I would have laughed out loud and told them they were crazy. You just never know . . . .


*   *   *

I've also been busy finishing up the final editing on my page proofs for the new book, which arrived last week. Poring over them and over them to make sure everything is correct (unlike the slightly careless way I go over my blog posts before I hit Publish - Hah!)


It's so much fun to see everything laid out with nice photos. These are the page proofs, which are merely sample pages of the final version of the book. Kind of like a trial run. This is the last chance to catch any mistakes or make corrections before it's all ready to go to the printer this summer. There are still a few things that need to get done by the publisher but everything has been moving along. That top page you see with my name on it? That's just the inside title page, not the cover. There is no cover yet. When my publisher sends me the cover and tells me I can show that I will. Everything in its own time. 


Have a great Memorial day weekend!  Time to pull out my favorite red, white and blue quilts. 


How lucky am I??  My friend Sue Bennett gifted me with this adorable little tumbler flag quilt! I've always wanted one.









15 comments:

sue bennett said...

I cant wait to see the cover of your new book. Love that little flag quilt in the garden, you might not believe this but I dont own one of those yet. I have got to get busy.

MaryC said...

the DJ blocks do get a bit 'tedious' after a few of them. I ended my DJ at 80 blocks (no triangles) because that's the size that 'fit' the area I wanted a wall quilt for. I'm pleased with what I did - but, I doubt that I'll be tempted to try any of the remaining blocks or triangles.

marian said...


Kathy, you're DJ blocks are looking wonderful! I have finally started sashing my blocks.. Row A is done :))
Thanks for the sneak peek of your new book.. i like what i see!!
Lucky me, i've got one of Sue's sweet little flag quilts too.. it's the cutest thing!

Val said...

Keep going Kathy. I appliqued both of the blocks that you showed in the post. I don't care for hand piecing at all, but I figure everyone can do it their own way. I am looking forward to your new book and hope that you are soon back to 100% healthy and strong.

Kathleen Tracy said...

Sue - WHAAAT?? You really need to make one for yourself, SOON. I love mine and will display it this weekend.

Kathleen Tracy said...

Thanks, Val. I'm closing in on the center. Some of my blocks were hand pieced and they went okay but there were some that I struggled with. Finished definitely feels better to me, no matter how they got done.

Wish I could show more pages of the book but it's still kind of early : )

Kathleen Tracy said...

Thanks, Marian! I know your hand-pieced quilt will be amazing! You are a DJ role model for us all.

I bet I know which sneak peek page you liked the best, haha.

Sue has sure been getting around making these little flag quilts, hasn't she? LOL

Nettie said...

Can I ask you for the name of the pattern for the little flag tumbler quilt?? I really NEED to make one.
Thanks for the info!
Happy Day.
Regards,
Nettie


nettiecrain@live.com

Kathleen Tracy said...

Sorry - I have no idea of the pattern. It was a gift.

-K

Jennifer M said...

Kathy I understand what your saying completely. I haven't done much hand piecing, but what I have done I have enjoyed. I do know that very small, or a lot of pieces in a small block is not for me. I did make a tumbler flag for myself last year but also want to do some for daughters. I love what little you have shown so far from your new book!

quiltgrannie said...

I'm looking forward to seeing the cover too!! I think that maybe I will try to hand sew more of my DJ just so I can get better at it, by the looks of your blocks Kathy you have nothing to worry about...
You really have a nice collection of red, white and blue quilts!

Candee said...

AAAAAA! I am dying to flip through those pages! I can't wait to get ahold of your new book. Just love all of your red, white & blue quilts. Sue is so thoughtful.

Kathleen Tracy said...

Thanks, Karen! I've done some hand piecing here and there and I do enjoy it but on these blocks it is just too frustrating to be enjoyable for me. I know I'll have to do a few more before I'm finished . . . .

Kathleen Tracy said...

Candee - I know, it's hard for me too. I want to show you and everyone else all the pretty quilts I made.

jane nj/wi said...

The Bears said you promised they would either be the cover or the back of the book....they would prefer it include your pupcake.

Pictures.....the crowd will go wild. Happy yo here it is progressing and you are feeling the early summer magic of flowers and RWB. I have the template....but tied either on my tiny walkin closet or in, shudder, quilt stuff purgatory and the Bears are on top of a very large stack of quilt stuff....I fear they are tunneling out

DJ. As an "official Jane" I declare and prophesy your quilt will be completed this century.... :0)P

Jane in Wisc and watching big holes being dug for our construction. Studio to be born this summer.....yippee

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails