Friday, October 3, 2014

Vermont and Maine

How do you like my new Blog header?  I thought it was time for a change.

While I said that seeing the Jane Stickle quilt was the highlight of my recent trip to New England, the rest of that area we traveled through was nothing to sneeze at and was just lovely this time of year. I debated posting so many photos and was only going to show them to family but then decided What the Heck -  How could I not share some of those pictures too? 
               

Bennington, VT




             
Although for the most part we were a little early for the true fall colors, some parts of Vermont were just gorgeous. You'd be driving along, everything was green and then BOOM! you'd go around a curve and the colors just exploded. I was trying to read but the scenery kept grabbing my attention until I said okay, okay, I get it and finally just put the book down. What I love about road trips.


Aside from The Quilt, there were some other wonderful exhibits at the Bennington Museum in Vermont, including a nice display of Grandma Moses paintings, which was my second favorite thing about the trip. 

                               

                               

The Checkered House


I've been a huge fan of Grandma Moses since the late 1970s  when I visited New England for the first time. While I was there I bought some lovely prints to hang in my very first apartment in Chicago after college. They still hang in our home today although I've changed the frames a few times. "Primitive" was not really popular among my circle of friends at that time and having a love for paintings created by a 90-year-old woman seemed odd to them and I got teased a bit but I didn't care - I loved the primitive style and those prints fit in well with my decorating scheme - simple, affordable, resale shop antiques and wall quilts (I was not a quilter yet). Something that has stuck with me, I'm afraid. 

                                 

Hoosick Falls  in Winter, my first and probably favorite GM print. I still love it after all these years.

The museum also had a very pretty miniature glass display -



How cute are those tiny glass irons?

We traveled to Maine from there. We'd been to Acadia National Park years ago but never really saw the southern coast or the city of Portland, which turned out to be fantastic. I'm hoping not to bore you too much with all the photos but there was so much BLUE everywhere we went I couldn't stop myself from snapping photo after photo of that beautiful ocean. I know some of you will appreciate the pictures and decide to take a trip there yourselves someday. 


Beautiful little seaside towns and picturesque fishing villages





Camden, Maine

One of my favorite poets is Edna St. Vincent Millay and as we drove through Camden I remembered that she wrote one of her first and most famous poems while living in Maine when she was nineteen. It was fun to actually stand in the spot she wrote about in 1912. 

"ALL I could see from where I stood
Was three long mountains and a wood;
I turned and looked the other way,
And saw three islands in a bay.
So with my eyes I traced the line 
Of the horizon, thin and fine,
Straight around till I was come
Back to where I’d started from;
And all I saw from where I stood
Was three long mountains and a wood."
  
                                          - from "Renascence"

Millay went on to receive the Pulitzer Prize in 1923, the third woman to win the award for poetry. She wrote some of the best sonnets you'll ever read.  





Did I tell you everything was BLUE??










The long drive back toward Sweet Home Chicago, where there is no ocean  : (



32 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

thanks so much for posting more about your trip! although we have been to some of the New England states over the years having lived in CT for 3 years back in the 70's we have not spent much time out there since then. Have only ever been in the southern most tip of Maine one time. We have thought to do a motorhome trip out there sometime but not sure when - seeing these photos reminds me to get it on the list for some day.

Mad about Craft said...

Thank you for sharing! I would love to travel to these states in Autumn - it's probably a pipe dream but I can be hopeful!

Ann in PA said...

New England is a little higher on my "Bucket List" after seeing the photos of Jane's quilt, and now the beautiful glassware, Grandma Moses (love her work, too) the gorgeous blues along with the fall colors....thank you for sharing the wonderful sights both inside and out.

Sue said...

I enjoyed all of your pictures ! Love when the trees turn color this time of year :-D

Anonymous said...

There might not be any ocean in Chicago, but you do have Lake Michigan - not quite as big as the ocean, but NO SALT. And, it is blue. :)

Rina Mason said...

Thanks for posting the pictures. I am a born and breed flatlander but started going to New England every fall in the 90's I haven't been able to go for the last two years and miss it so much. Your pictures helped ease the longing a little.

Heartsdesire said...

Loved all the photos of New England, you're a wonderful photographer. I also love the art of Grandma Moses. There is always so much to look at in her paintings, especially like the Checkered House. Your new blog heading is great, a very nice change.

Jennifer M said...

Kathy your pictures are beautiful! I haven't been to New England states but now want to go:) I love all the pictures you've shared, thank you. I love blue to....I can just gaze into it all day long! LOL

Anonymous said...

I dream of going to New England and seeing the Fall color. I so love Autumn!! Your pictures of the Maine coast are breath taking and I want to go!!. They were so beautiful it looked like a scene from a movie...So glad you celebrated your anniversary with all of us.!!! Carolyn Barnett

Lindah said...

Thank you for sharing the beautiful photos. Some of them brought back pleasant memories of times past. Others made me dream of building some new memories!

Yvonne said...

It has been over 15 years since we visited Maine but it still has a special place in my heart! Your pictures make me long to go back...... And I love the paintings, I always by the calendars from those, you can even buy them here in Holland!

marian said...

Kathy, I also enjoy road trips and yours looks like it was extra special. What beautiful autumnal hues and ocean views,, oh and btw I love GM prints too :)) cheers... Marian

marian said...

oh I forgot to mention I LOVE your new header!!

Anonymous said...

I've never been to the US but looking at your lovely photos makes me want to visit :-) I love the new header!

Ruth said...

Two years ago when I wasn't able to see Jane Stickle's quilt, we also drove to New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts and Connecticut, so we saw some of the same scenery that you did. It was also in September and we had a fabulous trip. The trip was made to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary and we spent a month in New England. Oh, we travelled in our truck and 5th wheel. What a fabulous trip!

cityquilter grace said...

maine coast is beautifull all the way to the canadian border....i live about 10 miles from portland head light...hope you got some lobster!

quiltgrannie said...

Kathy, thanks for sharing your beautiful road trip with us. Shame on you for reading when you should be taking in all that beauty!! LOL. I love Grandma Moses too and have a few of her pictures.
Hopefully one day I will be able to see this beautiful state in person.

Louise said...

Thank you Kathy for your beautiful photos of my birthplace. Even though my family moved to CA when I was nine, I have always loved the state of Maine dearly.
Thnk you as well for the lovely glass minatures.

Donna~~ said...

Your photos are fabulous. I love your Grandma Moses prints, too. And your photo of the seaside town is pretty enough to be a Grandma Moses print. What wonderful scenery! Thanks for sharing!

fournieces said...

The pictures of NE are gorgeous. I love that you included so many of our wonderful Maine. Moved to mid coast Maine 2 year ago(Camden) and have been thrilled to be here ever since--it feels like home. I'm glad you were able to visit.
I visited Chicago years ago and was amazed by the size of Lake Michigan and the beautiful city.

linda said...

Thank you for taking me "home". Lived in CT for my first 43 years and Vermont is my favorite state. New England stays in your heart and soul. Now living in AZ and I truly miss the fall; it is like no other. Hope you got to see some Bennington Pottery. I have a few pieces.

Anonymous said...

Kathy...what a blessing that you and your husband had the opportunity to travel to New England. Its a beautiful place. Love your new banner.
Blessings from Sue McQuade in IL

Mary Ann said...

Wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing. Thru your photos,would love to go to Maine someday.

antique quilter said...

so tell me are you pulling blue fabrics to make a quilt to remember your trip???
Kathie

Carmen y Prady said...

Que maravilla¡¡¡¡ Nos ha encantado la entrada que nos has hecho. Unas fotos preciosas.
Un beso

Karen said...

I'm so glad you decided to share all your photos with us. They're all beautiful and it gives me the opportunity to see beautiful New England in the fall. I'm glad you had a wonderful trip and had the opportunity to see the Dear Jane Quilt in person.

Charlotte said...

Thanks you so much for sharing. My husband and I were planning a road trip to New England this fall and it had to be canceled due to some some serious health problems. At least, I got to see some it vicariously through your photos. We definitely need to reschedule next year and include the Bennington Museum.

Charlotte

Andi said...

I try not to take my state of Maine for granted....I live outside of Portland, ME and drive in and around Portland weekly. So happy you had a great visit and tour of New England. Did you have a lobster dinner? Do hope so. I grew up with Grandma Moses curtains and lampshade covered with her fabric. My mother was a lover of those curtains... Andi thewednesdaybaker.blogspot.com

I am looking around at quilts, not a beginner but always willing to learn more. Thanks for sharing your photo's with all have a great day

Heirlooms by Ashton House said...

I'm so glad you chose to post all these gorgeous photos, Kathy. I've long wanted to visit the New England area and these photos make me want to all the more! The scenery looks like something out of a storybook, and it would have loved seeing those sweet miniature glass treasures. I share your love of Edna St. Vincent Millay. I started reading her poems in college. I can remember checking out all of the books of her poetry available at the college library. One of my most treasured books is a volume of her poems that my hubby bought me for Valentine's Day.

kiquilter said...

Love the new header. Thank you, thank you for sharing those beautiful photos. They gave me a mini vacation!

Mariace said...

Que lugar maravilloso!! Hermoso!! Que privilegio estar allí!!!
Un saludo cordial,
mariace

Sandi said...

Gorgeous photos...add photographer to your list of who and what you are!

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails