Friday, July 20, 2012

Pretty in Pictures


"In all forms of collecting the hunt for bargains adds zest to the game."
~ Edward James Nankivell,
19th century English journalist


It's been a bit of a blue and white month for me. I get this way in  the summer, tending toward blue to cool me off I guess. Lately, everywhere I turn, I seem to find and fall in love with something blue and white. Yesterday, for instance, I was driving home from the library and saw a sign that said "VINTAGE SALE." What?? I thought it was just a new, fancy name for "Garage Sale" and tried to keep going straight but my turn signal suddenly started flashing right and the car went to auto pilot and there I was, turning in front of an old house with actual old stuff for sale.

My kids and I used to love to rummage through garage sales and come up with neat toys and games, sports equipment, etc.  I gave up on garage sales quite a few years ago when we no longer needed toys. And, anyway, all everyone seemed to be selling was baby stuff or junk and do I really need any more junk? No THANK you, I have enough of my own that I need to get rid of. Once, I found a lovely silk Ralph Lauren scarf for $1.00. I still wear it and I still get compliments, LOL. No one knows.



The Vintage Sale house (and stuff inside) belonged to a lady who seemed to love blue. Linens, dishes and other household things for sale, all blue and white. A teal blue area rug. A beautiful white iron bed lined with blue and white pillows. A blue lamp. Oh my. I wish I had brought my camera. Most of it was furnishings and other things I did not need so I only bought a few small items because as it turned out, all I had was $10 cash on me, LOL. (Imagine, if I hadn't just paid my $2.50 library fine I would have had a whole $12.50 to splurge.  . . . )

I ended up choosing a small blue and white pitcher and a china serving platter, also in blue and white. They don't match anything I own, I just had to have them, you know?

 

Seriously, how could I NOT buy this plate?? Sentimentalist that I am, I almost tear up just looking at it, it's so delicate and beautiful.

I also bought the sweetest little doll chair (I do love my doll chairs), not in blue and white, but perfect to set on a shelf or even on a blue and white doll quilt. Maybe I'll make a small blue and white pillow for it.



You'll be pleased to know I got change back from my $10.00 too. My husband just shook his head when he came home and looked at my finds. What, I said? WHAT's wrong with loving blue?? Tell me.  

Even if I end up not actually using any of it, you have to admit, it sure looks pretty in pictures . . .  





26 comments:

Jan said...

Blue has always been my favorite color, too. I could not have passed up that lovely plate either!

Phyllis said...

Blue and white is just so soothing. I love it too. Great finds.

http://thankfullga447 said...

Blue is white is my favorite, that plate you brought is fabulous.

Colleen said...

Love your finds! I like to have blue and white things too. My entire bathroom was redone in cobalt and white...so clean and refreshing.

Judith said...

Blue is my favorite color and what great finds! I love a great sale....Judith, Texas

Karen Anne said...

That's a lovely plate. Does it say the maker on the back?

Donna Keating said...

Junk is good. Love the plate especially with the brownies on top. LOL

Kathleen Tracy said...

Yes, it says Johnson Bros, England. I checked eBay and a platter like mine sold for $150. Replacements has one of them for $199. Guess I got a bargain. Funny, that is also the same manufacturer of my new everyday dishes.

Nice to know so many of you like blue too.

Merilyn said...

I've always been a blue/white girl especially with kitchen ware, I even have blue cast iron pots/casserole dishes! Just spells kitchen to me!!! Your finds at the Vintage Sale are just gorgeous, use them and enjoy them, I'm sure the lady who used to own them would be reassured to know they have gone to a good home!!!!

Ingrid said...

Love the blue plate! Could really use one (or two) of those brownies too!

Kathleen Tracy said...

The brownies were disappointing, not very good. Merilyn, I have a set of Le Creuset pots and casseroles in blue too!

Beth said...

I love blue too. Your finds are fantastic. I love the little doll chair too. Sure would look cute with a blue and white pillow.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

What a lovely plate/platter. Of course you had to have it. Great find! Cute pitcher, too.

marian said...

ooooh some lovely vintage finds, Kathy!! i especially love the platter, i have one similar to yours...perfect for serving up brownies LOL!!

Marie christine said...

Y love very much you disches.It's adorable and romantic,hmmmm....brownies so delicious!Lovely day Marie christine from France

Kathryn said...

You had a great day! What a find! I love blue and white dishes. Thank you for sharing your finds and sharing your sewing talent with us!

Me and My Stitches said...

Love your finds, and I think your husband should be impressed! I love old plates and bowls - and don't care if they match. I've picked up some beautiful bowls at auctions for a buck or two and used them all the time. Aren't you glad your car took you to the sale!

Heartsdesire said...

The blue and white platter and jug are fabulous, how could you not end up using them. Love the little chair, and it would look very cute with a small patchwork pillow. Perhaps a project for another book? Anyway, I think you got your money's worth at that vintage sale.

Elly D said...

What's not to love about blue and white crockery. My absolute favourite. Love the ones your found :) and the little doll chair. A blue and white pillow sounds a fine idea :)

Louise said...

Your blue and white plate is lovely beyond words! I have a small chair like yours. Have you ever grouped them on the wall? What a fun sale.

Unknown said...

Love the photos.

Jen said...

Beautiful finds! Lucky you!

Lizzie P said...

Love mix'n'matching blue and white crockery - it's so 'English country house'. Love both your finds, but I think I'd've been fighting you for the plate!

Nancy said...

Those are both very nice, but the plate is just gorgeous!! What a great find.

CĂ©line said...

It's beautifull, I love so much

Judy said...

My turn signal would have gone on too, as I love vintage/estate sales. Lovely finds!

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails