Friday, October 2, 2009

Birds on Quilts

Yes, I love Civil War reproduction fabrics and have to admit I use them more than any other type of print in my quilts. But occasionally I like to buy novelty prints and have collected some over the years intending to use them in projects other than quilts (remember my poor daughter's unsewn pinafore?? Oh well, I got busy.).

Recently, the occasion came up to make a project containing blocks with a fussy cut center--the SmallQuiltTalk group Challenge #7.  I uploaded a pattern for a little log cabin block for the group to use to make their own little quilt, with their choice of a favorite novelty fabric in the center of the block as a theme. Sounds like fun, huh? So I went to my Novelty Print drawer over the weekend and pulled out some fabric to use.  Looking at all of them, I realized that I really do seem to have a penchant for little bird prints but never actually get around to making quilts out of them.

Here's as far as I got in the challenge--a pincushion with a little birdhouse in the center. No time to make a whole quilt. Book projects calling out to be made . . . . Hey, at least it's something, and it took all of 45 minutes to make.


I've also always been drawn to quilts that have appliqued birds on them and keep planning one for my books, but applique is not going so well right now with my current eye problems, so maybe in the future.

Everybody knows and loves Sue Spargo and all of her projects with folk art birds on them. I was really inspired seeing her booth at Quilt Market last Spring and asked her if I could take a few photos of the projects that had birds on them. How cute are these quilts made from wool and cotton?






Need to find time to get into wool and buy a few of these patterns or kits. She really has quite a few things on her website I am desperate to make.

I forgot about this LITTLE wallhanging I made awhile ago. I guess I do use some tiny bird scraps now and then:

                           

At the Quilters Hall of Fame quilt show last July I spotted an antique blue and white quilt with birds appliqued on the border. How cool is that?



Does this count as a bird on a quilt??

                                      


6 comments:

Jocelyn said...

These are such sweet bird projects. Love the birdy border! Wow very creative.

antique quilter said...

I love quilts with birds on them too!
I am reproducing an antique quilt right now with birds!
Love Sue Spargo quilts too...need to make a few of them with repros though! Still haven't started to collect wool (yet) so they will be in cottons
love your pincushion I will have to hunt down some fabrics with little birds for this idea, great gift idea for my quilting friends this year for Christmas.
Thanks
kathie

Kathleen Tracy said...

Kathie--Now you've got me all curious. I didn't see the bird quilt on your blog--have you posted pictures yet? I need to see it! Antique quilts with birds are my favorite because they're usually so quirky.

Julie-Ann said...

I love birds and have many bird figurines as well as birds in artwork in my home. I also have many bird feeders in my yard for those "real" birds. Guess my life is "for the birds!"

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I really like birds on quilts too, but I haven't made any. Hmm, I'm going to have to fix that.

Anonymous said...

I am trying to find a simple quilt pattern with birds to make a baby wall quilt for my new grandchild.

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails