Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Square-in-Square Quilt

My Facebook group is making a sweet little blue and white quilt in two parts. We'll be making some easy square-in-square blocks in Step 1 and then assembling them into a small quilt with borders in Step 2 which will be posted next Monday, August 12.  If you're in the group, you'll find the simple directions in the group files. Or, you can get the block directions from my website Country Lane Quilts.


Some years ago, I saved a picture of a blue and white antique pillow I found in an old decorating book and when I came across the photo recently I thought, why not turn this into a sweet little doll quilt?? Square-in-square blocks stitch up pretty fast so it's a fun little project. 

What is it about blue and white quilts? 



You'll see in Step 2 that when the blocks are put together you get a secondary image of a star. All you'll do this week is make 9 square-in-square blocks - 4 with light centers and 5 with dark centers. Next week I'll show you how to put the quilt together with borders. Simple and fun. 

This is intended as a two-color quilt so of course you may use any two colors you like. I happen to love blue so it was easy for me to pick out some favorite blue and light scraps. Whatever colors you choose, make sure you use enough contrast so that the star appears.



Step 2 will be uploaded on Monday, August 12. 





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Blue is my favourite colour too Kathy. I’ve had some blue Downton Abbey fabric for years so this will be a way of using some of it up.
Liz L