Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Sampler Row Quilt - Week 6

This is Week 6 if you're making the Sampler Row Quilt. Choose six more blocks and try to finish up by the end of the week. You should have 36 little blocks. On Friday I'll give you instructions for setting the blocks into rows. 


Last week I was a little stressed out because we were having some noisy work done in the house. Since my husband is still working from home, my job (my OTHER job) is usually to try to keep the distractions at a minimum as much as I can so he can sort of have a quiet environment and actually focus and hear what's going on in his daily (hourly?) meetings (Hah! Good luck with that.)  And there were way too many runs to Home Depot to keep me sane. Also, the little dog had hurt herself by chasing one too many squirrels and/or chipmunks so she needed some TLC and a vet visit. I needed a little break myself and so I took a few minutes over the weekend to relax and play around with some of my scraps. I wound up thinking I would make a little doll quilt for fall.  You all know how even just a little bit of small sewing can be somewhat relaxing and good for the spirit. 


If you'd like to join me, I'm doing it in a few easy parts. I find that if I do things in small steps I'm also more likely to finish. This one is quick and easy. 

Step 1 - Make 6 flying geese blocks. For each unit, 

    Cut 1 rectangle, 2"  x  3 1/2"

    Cut 2 squares, 2"  x  2"

                                  
  
Make the flying geese in the traditional way by drawing a diagonal line across the back of each square. Place a square on one end of the rectangle, right sides together. Stitch on the line, flip up, trim 1/4" and press. Repeat on the other end of the rectangle. Trim to 2" x 3 1/2". Make 8 Flying Geese blocks.






Trim to 2" x 3 1/2". (These will finish at 1 1/2" x 3".)


We started this a few days ago in my Facebook group so here's the next part -

Step 2 - Sew your flying geese units into pairs to make 4 blocks. Trim to 3 1/2" x 3 1/2".


In a day or two I'll give you another step to make a different block. It's all very easy and the finished little quilt will measure about 12" x 12" square - perfect for a fall doll quilt or small table topper. Should be finished in no time at all. Don't forget - it's always all about the fabrics and colors you love. Make it scrappy!





1 comment:

Liz said...

Thank you Kathy for the extra quilt pattern. Hope life is less hectic at your house and your little dog is feeling better.
Liz