Saturday, January 15, 2022

Valentine Mini Mystery Quilt

To combat all the gray days and winter doldrums here in northern Illinois, I decided to whip up a simple little Valentine's Day project just for fun - and as a Mystery sew along for my Facebook group. If you'd like to join in, here's Step 1 for the 2022 Valentine's Day Mini Mystery Quilt. Look through your pinks, reds and shirtings or light prints and pull out some scraps of fabric to make the blocks. You don't need much. 


This will be a pattern for a quick and easy little quilt for you to display around the house, on a table or doll bed or hanging on a wall. Won't take you much time at all. Over the years, I've found that there are two things that help us to successfully finish a project - taking it in small steps and sewing along with friends. Always more fun in a group.

Cutting instructions:

From a pink print, cut

            4 squares, 2 ½"  x  2 ½"

From a red print, cut

            4 squares, 3 ¼"  x  3 ¼"

             1 square, 1 ½" x 1 ½" 

From a light print (or 2 different light prints), cut

            4 squares, 2 ½"  x  2 ½"

            4 squares 3 ¼"  x  3 ¼"

            4 rectangles, 1 ½"  x 4 ½" 



Here are all the pieces you should have cut. Borders will be an option later.


That's it for this week. You can see that I used two different red prints and two different light prints for a little variety. You may cut yours from the same red print and the same light print if you choose. Use the same print for your four pink squares, however. Place these pieces inside a zip lock bag and put them where you won't lose them. Next week I'll show you how to make the blocks. You'll also need a coordinating fabric or two for border(s) to finish the quilt. We'll talk about border options in 2 weeks.

                         Hope you all have fun!

-Kathy



P.S. Friends, just so you know - I set the comments on my blog to be moderated so that every time you post a comment I have to approve it before it appears. This may take me awhile until I see it. I have been getting so many stupid spam comments from nasty people that I have no choice. So I apologize if it is an inconvenience for you. It's so annoying but I am not going to let the spammers win . . . .






12 comments:

Shelley said...

❤❤this will be fun! I cut out more hexies last night😁

Marsha B said...

This looks like fun! I am so happy you are posting instructions here, I am not and will never be on Facebook so this way I can join in, too. Thank you! ! ! I can always join in on a fun little quilt along!

marijo.m said...

Je vais essayer de vous suivre, merci pour les instructions. Bon week-end.

Christie said...

I need another project - ha ha! But, I always love your little projects, so I am off to dig into my stash! Thank you! HUGS... and stitches

Carol in Texas said...

You answered my comment…..here is the pattern for the Valentine quilt…..I assume it is the one your Facebook group is making. I will do it…..it looks like fun!

Von Tassen Farm said...

I saw this on your Facebook page and thought it would be fun. I cut out all the pieces last night and put them in a plastic bag. Can't wait to get started sewing!

slrquilts said...

I love a little diversion to give me a break from a big tedious project!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Sounds fun!

Marta Schellberg said...

I'm not on Facebook, but hope your 2nd blog shows up for me to sew along next week. I did cut out the fabric.

Karen said...

Thank you for providing this. It's just what I needed to kick off my sewing this year. I have my fabrics cut now. It sure is a great mystery to me, as I don't have a clue what the blocks will be like. Thanks for the fun!

Julierose said...

this looks like a real mood lifter during these gray January days...thanks for sharing hugs, Julierose

Quilter Kathy said...

I'm excited! I have my pieces all cut out and posted on my blog, so hopefully more friends will join in the fun!

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails