Sunday, November 8, 2020

It's Fall and Change Is in the Air . . . .

Fall is definitely a time of transition.  I've heard it said that life seems to start all over again in the fall . . .  Almost a rebirth. But not like an exciting springtime rebirth. Fall is a quieter, gentle season that embraces change, reflected in the changing colors of the leaves. 





"Even if something is left undone, everyone must take time to sit still and watch the leaves turn."

~ Elizabeth Lawrence


We spent a day at the Chicago Botanic Garden recently. Here's a view from the top of the waterfall looking beyond, into the Japanese Garden. Because of the pandemic, the garden now limits the number of people allowed to enter at any one time. You have to reserve a time slot in advance now so I don't go walking there as often or spontaneously as I used to.





Here's a quilt I think you'll enjoy. I don't often go crazy with scrappy pieces and borders but I had a great time with this small flying geese quilt, our challenge for last month  - 


Lots of swirling colors and movement; just perfect for fall.
















If you have the time, why not get out some of your fall-colored prints, play around a bit and then hurry up and make something "fallish" before winter gets here?  It will be here before you know it.



19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos, thanks so much for the inspiration. Hubs and I are in the very Northern Calif mountains, snow the last two nights and predicted 11 degrees for tonight. What happened to Fall in our neck of the woods? Whoa... here it comes again, snowing!

conny's quilts en creaties said...

Lovely pictures! Thanks

Carolknits said...

Your colors are just amazing. What a color sense you have. I wish I had the same talent!
Lovely photos, too.

quiltgrannie said...

I wish I could stroll through those gardens again with you. It was so much fun to spend some time there with you and Marian. Those photos are beautiful!! Thanks' for sharing.

sue bennett said...

Gorgeous photos Kathy, would love to visit there. Your quilt blocks fit right in with the trees and falling leaves. Looks like you had a wonderful fun filled day. Thank you for sharing.

Linda said...

Ah, letting go. Such a part of my life right now too. Beautiful pics of the botanical garden. Have not been to ours here in St Louis for so long. Little places so gorgeous. And love your leafy inspiration! Enjoy this continuing warm spell!

Karen said...

I just love your Fall pictures, Kathy! It's my favorite time of year because of the beautiful colors! We have a few neighbor's trees that have been so pretty this season, now the leaves are falling from the wind we've been having this month. Our temps are cooling down, it will be around 28 degrees tonight! Love those little table runners and maple leaf blocks, such a wonderful variety of colors and prints! Thank you so much for sharing and inspiring us with your quilting!

Margie West said...

Kathy, your fall pictures are so pretty. I especially like the colorful leaves you made. Thanks for sharing. Margie/TN

Connie Rademacher said...

Kathy, I love all your quilt colors. Can you tell me if the jack o lantern hanging is available as a pattern? Thanks for all the lovely Fall pictures.

Kathleen Tracy said...

Connie - Sorry but that was an item I bought at a craft show years ago. Although I'm sure it would not be too difficult to make.

Julierose said...

Just love the Flying Fall Geese mini--So pretty--lovely works all...Letting Go is an art...hugs, Julierose

Candee said...

Love that quote about letting things go. The botanical gardens is one of my very favorite places. It was an especially wonderful place to visit this year.

QuiltGranma said...

Love the little quilts! Glad to see you are getting some oldies but goodies finished too. It has been a year of undone has it not? Looking forward to the changes next year will make.

KMSC said...

I love the maple leaf block but mine are usually just two fabrics plus brown for the stem. I love your multicolored leaves - so bright and beautiful! I’ll have to dig into my scrap bag. Thanks for the inspiration!

Charlotte said...


Thanks for sharing all he lovely "fall" photos. Our trees here in southern CA are starting to change.
The temps are cooler and I am enjoying that.

Always enjoy looking at your quilting creations too.

Have a great day.

Charlotte

jane nj/wi said...

As always your pictures are lovely and restful. The only thing missing is your woofus. I have a great niece who lives in your area and her two young boys love the gardens. They run in circles and simply enjoy the fall days. Thanks for giving me a peek at my old home town area.

Yvonne said...

Beautiful fall colors in nature and fabrics!

Kathleen Tracy said...

Jane - those of us in the Chicago area wish you were still here!

Kathleen Tracy said...

Thank you all for the lovely comments! Nice to know someone is reading about my meanderings . . . .

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails