Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Winter Walking

I love snowy weather and we sure got enough of it here in the Chicago area a few days ago. They said it was one of the highest snowfalls we've had in years. You know me -  I have to post snow pictures at least once every year.



There's no place to put it all.


Our dog is little and the snow is deep -  about 19 inches. I have to shovel paths in the back yard so she can run around. A little more every day. Can't possibly manage it all at once. Fun to watch her navigate in the snow.



I love the snow so much I even like to walk in it. Our neighborhood streets are plowed but that's boring. And the salt burns the dog's paws. Unfortunately, the down side to living this close to the city is that there aren't a lot of places to hang out in nature, in any kind of weather. I live in Illinois - it's not like we're close to mountains or anything. There are plenty of forest preserves nearby but they're kind of desolate and I hesitate to go walking there all alone. Sorry, I'm not brave like Cheryl Strayed of  "Wild" fame. (Good movie, though. Better book, read it twice.) I'm also pretty sure they don't plow the forest preserve hiking trails in winter either. 

I am lucky enough to live near the Chicago Botanic Garden, however, so that was the perfect solution for my spur of the moment desire to be outdoors the other day. Sure it was cold, but I bundled up and had a great time and got my snow fix and my "nature" fix and some invigorating exercise to boot. 


View of the lake




Pond



The afternoon light lent a blue cast to the snow at times.



The English Walled Garden






The greenhouses are warm inside.


Paths! All throughout the garden - and I didn't have to shovel them!



Surprisingly, there were quite a few others hanging around the gardens that afternoon, judging from the amount of cars in the parking lot (apparently I'm not the only fool for snow) but it's a large enough place that I didn't really run into many people. Nice and quiet and pretty too but you can be sure I'm not going to mention the words "Winter Wonderland" or some of you who hate winter will have had enough of me and my silly talk for one day. (More next year.)


20 comments:

http://thankfullga447 said...

I love snow because I got lots of sewing done. I love all the photos and living near botanical garden near by. I have a botanical garden not far away and it is so therapeutic for me when I walk there.

lalaluu said...

Love the pics of snow! Those drifts on the benches are crazy deep. So glad, though, that I'm on the Gulf Coast and can enjoy these pics in relative warmth!

Yvonne said...

I love the snow too! I wish we had so many in the Netherlands. Were I live we hadn't had any this year. Just a lot of boring rain! Thanks for the beautiful pictures,would have loved to walk along with you.

Caroline said...

I'm jealous, I wish we had some snow, we only have rain, rain, and some icing rain, not so good if you have to cycle to work ; ).
kind regards Caro from the Netherlands

Scrappy quilter said...

I always love pictures with snow. For some reason they always come out wonderful.

Annelein said...

Such lovely pictures. I also love snow. Here we don't have more then a 5 cm. But it makes noise when you walk over it and that is what I love.

Love, love, love the picture of the neighborhood with the american big houses. Can't get enough off it. Lucky you. And the lake so close by.

Thanks for sharing...
Willeke
the Netherlands

Bev said...

Wow, that is so beautiful. Enjoy!

Carmen y Prady said...

Que reportaje de fotos tan bonito. Y que frio¡¡¡¡¡¡
Un beso

Jennifer M said...

Wonderful pictures. It's crazy to see how it just piles up. I love the pictures with the blue cast on them...I love blue:)

sue bennett said...

Beautiful photos.

pens and needles said...

Thanks for sharing your snow with me. Here in the Ozarks, we've been snowless this winter (after a record-setting snow season last year.) I've missed it so much -- I, too, love to get out and walk in snow and take photos. Living near the Botanical Garden is surely a wonderful thing in all seasons!

Kathleen Tracy said...

To Annelein: Thank you. Yes, I am very lucky but please know that I don't actually live in one of those "big American houses." Only my neighbors do! My house is more like a small cottage in Mansion-land, LOL.

Ann in PA said...

Your photos are delightful! You've certainly captured the beauty of snow.

sandi s said...

Beautiful pictures! I love to watch snow fall but didn't want to deal with it any more so I moved to lower Alabama. LOL. Hugs,

Kim said...

I enjoyed sharing your beautiful walk. Thanks!

Ruth said...

I love snow too, but we haven't had any here where I live in Oregon this year (except in the mountains). My sister lives near Chicago and sent us pictures similar to yours. Good idea to go to the garden!

Pam in IL said...

I have to say that even though we had alot of snow, it is one of the prettiest snowfalls we've had. I love that snow is still on the tree branches and the way the trees look against the crisp blue sky. The sun has been warm this week, despite the temps being cold and that makes for perfect winter walking. I have to dig trails around my backyard for my dog too.

Alene said...

Thank you for sharing your walk and pictures. When we lived in Ny it was my favorite time to walk when everything looked blue, so beautiful.

Teapot820 said...

Thanks for the memories. I used to live in Wheaton in the late 50's & early 60's, loved to go ice skating on the lagoon. Then we moved to Mpls. Where we REALLY had snow! Now it's just battleship grey in Cinti.!

Vic in NH said...

Fresh snow always looks so very clean and pure!

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails