Monday, March 31, 2014

What's a Doll Quilt Workshop Without Genuine Doll Quilts?

This past Saturday I taught a workshop to a group of quilters. We made the Prairie Points Doll Quilt from my book Remembering Adelia.  If you are making one small quilt a month with me again this year, this is the one I chose for April. It's a lot of fun to make (Prairie Points! Fun, fun, fun!) and goes together pretty quickly. Page 66 in the book. The directions are simple and clear.




Taking a workshop is fun -  kind of like a mini-retreat. Here's what some of the quilters in the group did with their blocks -








I always love seeing the different fabrics each quilter chooses for her quilt. Traditional quilt blocks like the ones I use to make my quilts are timeless and they can easily move into different styles.  Just because I made my quilt with mostly 19th century reproduction prints doesn't mean you can't use batiks or brights in yours. Instead of making the quilt with 12 blocks, some chose to make 2 smaller quilts, using 6 blocks for each quilt. Someone adjusted the size and made 3-inch blocks. If you're short on time, even a quilt with 4 blocks would still look cute. Or, here's an idea - make the Prairie Points as your border and skip the other border. It's fun to play around and have fun with these small quilts.

If making a quilt this month (or any month) just seems like too much work for you, try breaking your project into chunks and do a little every week, on a schedule,  as I suggested here last year. By the end of the month (not to mention the end of the YEAR) you'll be surprised at how much you have accomplished. And perhaps you'll have a few little quilts to show for it.


I had a lot of fun playing around with some small scraps for the blocks - lights and darks and indigoes and a small splash of bright color here and there. Notice that I used 2 different (but similar) prints for the setting squares and triangles to give my quilt a scrappy feel. I used a stencil to mark the plain blocks and then hand quilted a small floral design in the center. 

While I was at the workshop, I met a woman who collected antique and vintage doll quilts. She was kind enough to bring a few along to share with us for Show & Tell.


Crazy doll quilts. (One may have been a pillow covering.)


Matching doll quilts made in 1929 for twin girls - Shirley Ann and Mary Jane. Lucky little girls indeed. Although they don't look like they were played with too much; both were in great condition. 



This one was probably cut down from a larger quilt.


A feedsack flour bag used as backing for one of the doll quilts.

Annie also collects old quilt blocks and sews them together into "antique" looking doll quilts which she then hand quilts. They turn out so cute and I think I'm going to try to make a few like this with some of my old quilt blocks.





If you have any old blocks lying around, maybe you'll be inspired to try this too. If you do attempt it, send me a photo. I'd love to see it.

Do yourself a favor this week and find time to make something small!


11 comments:

Ann in PA said...

Wow Kathy, lots of beautiful old & new eye-candy in this post. Prairie Points quilt is at the top of my list. I love it!

quilting Jeannet said...

Very nice idea Kathleen!

moosecraft said...

I love the quilting you added to the prairie points quilt! Nice collection of antique minis too! I'm quickly becoming an avid fan of small quilts... they are pretty and quick! :-)

sue bennett said...

Those quilts are really nice. The two pink ones are just darling. Love this post.

Margs Primitive Quilts said...

Looks like a fun class to take. I often will make a small block to see if I am going to like it well enough to make a whole quilt. All are beautiful.I have a few in waiting that would be great to just add borders and finish up as doll quilts or sampler quilts. Thanks for your inspiring posts.
Marg

marian said...

Such a darling little quilt.. i'm really looking forward to our April challenge :)) cheers... Marian

quiltgrannie said...

I love the way the maker cross stitched the twins name onto the front of the quilts. They are just precious!! I'm having fun making my quilt, thanks for picking this one.

Me and My Stitches said...

What a fun class! I love the little quilt with the prairie points - adorable! And what great show and tell! Love the old quilts - lots of treasures there.

Colleen said...

I love the repro fabrics that you use. I need to start collecting some of this fabric because I don't have anything in my stash that I like to make small quilts.

I just finished today putting together my first quilt from your book American Doll Quilts. It's the Civil War Nine Patch. I used fabric that I've had around for years that I never liked and it's really terrible quality, but after it was together, it looked pretty good. I need to do the backing and some quilting (hand???) and then I'll post a photo on Small Quilts Group.

Thanks for all the inspiration :)

Sandy said...

I absolutely love making doll quilts, and you have been such an inspiration to me. I love that idea of turning an orphan block into a doll quilt! I'll have to try that.

I'll have to take a look at your Small Quilts group now...

Jennifer M said...

Love small quilts and these are all a delight! I have several old quilt blocks...guess what I may be doing with them:) Thanks so much Kathy

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails