Monday, July 19, 2010

I Love, I Love, I Love my Calendar Quilt!

Can't get this song out of my head. Apologies to Neil Sedaka. Some of you may remember this old song from 1961. I'm too young myself; I only remember it because I had older sisters who listened to the radio a lot when I was a little kid, LOL . . .

"I love, I love, I love my calender girl
Yeah, sweet calender girl
I love, I love, I love my calender girl
Each and every day of the year."

The 2011 American Patchwork & Quilting Calendar arrived while I was sick. There's a quilt of mine in it and I couldn't wait to get home and take photos to show you.


The calendar contains so many beautiful quilts made by a variety of  wonderful designers and includes a booklet with all of the pattern directions. My quilt is featured for May, titled "Scrap Box." I hope you like it.
 

One of my favorite things about American Patchwork & Quilting magazine is that they always have quilt tester Laura Boehnke make alternate versions of the quilts using different fabrics. Here's my pattern made with darker plaids and stripes. Very striking, I think.


Here's a couple of photos of the quilt "at home" inside and out so you can get a better look. (Yippee, I'm home - did I tell you I'm home?)




Wish I could have had more time to quilt it a little better but the magazine called for a project last year while I was in the middle of working on my next book (yikes!) and when American Patchwork & Quilting magazine calls, you don't say no, you drop everything, so I definitely made time to squeeze in a quilt for them. Those adorable little scrappy nine-patch blocks measure 3" x 3". I couldn't stop making them - they were so much fun to play around with and I still have a bunch left over.


Calendars should be available at your local quilt shop or you can order one by calling the magazine at 800-826-4707.

24 comments:

Karen said...

I've seen that calendar twice now. Ann Hermes showed us her quilt too. I am excited to get this one for my sewing room. I've been looking around for just the right calendar and this is it. Your quilt is adorable. I love nine patches too.
Thanks so much for sharing.
I'm so glad your feeling better. Home is the best place to be.

Jenny said...

Welcome Home Kathleen!!!!! Dorothy was right....There is no place like home....I love your quilt, it is wonderful. I love the colors you chose and the alternate with plaids and stripes is very nice too. I agree with you about nine patches, they are fun to play with, in fact the nine patch has always been one of my favorite quilt patterns. The calendar is great too. Hope you are feeling better and that you are having a good day.

Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling lots better. Enjoy your blog. Your calendar quilt is darling. Thanks for sharing.

Darlis

Jeanne said...

Congrats on having your quilt in the calendar for next year! I love scrappy quilts and nine patches, especially 3 inch nines.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I know which "calendar" I am going to get for the year 2011!!!! Thanks for showing us.
It sounds like you might be feeling some better--hope so--summer (or any time) is no time to be under the weather!!!
Take care--be good to your self!!
Hugs, Di

Elyte said...

Glad to see you blogging again, hopefully that means you are feeling stronger. I like your "Calendar Quilt' very much and I do enjoy seeing them made in other colourways. The American magazines do that very well but it is not common in the Australian publications.

Beth said...

That is a wonderful quilt. Congrats on being featured in the calendar. I have to get it!
Hope you are on the mend.

Quiet Quilter said...

....And They called You



...And they called you! What an honor! I need to call that number right now. Congratulations!

Quiet Quilter said...

Oops! sorry for the goofup on last post. Didn't know it went through the first time.

antique quilter said...

Congrats I love your quilt in the calendar its one I will definitely make.
Its fun being in the same calendar as you MIss May!
So glad your home and recuperating....sending good thoughts your way to recover quickly.
Kathie or you can call me
Miss November!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Glad you're home, the quilt and calendar look wonderful - and you still have those cute blocks to play with!

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Love the cute blocks and the quilt that you made. The colors are wonderful!!! I think being at home is doing the trick for feeling better! Thanks for sharing. Carolyn from Des Moines, Iowa.

Lori said...

What a cute quilt!! Congratulations on having your little beauty showcased!!

Daniƫlle said...

So you are a Calendar girl yourself hihi!! What a lovely little quilt, great how you used the colour yellow!! By adding one more little block you could make a lovely 9-patch 9p-patch hihi!! Hope things are steadily going the preferred and more healthy direction?! Hugs, Daniƫlle

Diana said...

Congratulations! That little quilt is beautiful.

ann hermes said...

Dear Calendar Buddy,
Lovely little quilt!

Ann (Miss october)

Frances Leate said...

What a lovely quilt and congratulations on being selected to participate in the calendar. It is interesting to see it in another colourway but I do like your fabric selection.

Connie204 said...

Love your little quilt and congrats to you for making the calendar. This should make you feel lots better. Connie204

Kathleen Tracy said...

Ann and Kathie--I think we calendar girls should get together and go on tour! But not like in the movie Calendar Girls, if you know what I mean, LOL.

quilting Jeannet said...

Very nice to read that you are home Kathy!! You will be more better at home as in a hospital, between your lovely doll quilts....what a wonderfull colors you will used!

warm greetings,jeannet

Inge Slaats said...

I do love that little quilt of yours, beautiful fabrics and colors.
That must be great to see your quilt in that calender!

Quilty regards,
Inge

~Kris~ said...

Congratulations! What an honor. The quilt is so nice.

Hope you feeling back to normal soon.

Berna said...

Your Dollquilts are so beautifull!! Some weeks ago I bought your book Prairie Children and their Quilts and I will make a Dollquilt for my granddaughters.
The Calendar is beautifull too. Do you know if I can buy the Calandar in Holland?
Greetings from the Netherlands by Berna

Kathleen Tracy said...

Thanks so much. I have no idea if it is available outside the U.S. I think your best bet is to call the magazine to order a calendar (number listed above) and see if they ship overseas. Good luck!

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails