Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Bread Pudding for Breakfast

I love bread pudding but, I'll admit, I'm lazy about baking sometimes. For some strange reason I woke up this morning with a taste for bread pudding but did not feel up to actually making some. I knew if I made a whole pan, I'd probably end up eating most of it.  Plus, I only had one egg left in the frig.
 
You know how I love quick recipes made  in a mug -  didn't I show you a recipe for chocolate cake in a mug some time ago? I remembered that last year I also found this recipe for instant bread pudding you make in a mug and cook in the microwave. It's actually not too bad and today it hit the spot. I've tried it with egg beaters and it's okay that way too. Works in a pinch. And it's so much fun to watch it cook.

 
 
 
Ingredients:
·         1 egg, beaten
·         1/2 cup milk
·         1 tsp. sugar (optional)
·         1 slice of whole grain bread
·         optional favorites - raisins, chopped apple, cinnamon, vanilla
Directions:
Break egg into a mug, and beat with a fork. Add the milk and sugar to stir (and any optional ingredients). Tear up one piece of bread into the mug, and with a fork, press the bread pieces into the egg/milk mixture to moisten. Make sure optional ingredients are mixed well.
Microwave for one minute, and then continue cooking but check every 20 - 30 seconds until you see the bread pudding rising out of the mug.
 

 
 
Sometmes, instead of adding sugar to the egg and milk I skip it and just sprinkle a tsp of syrup on top after it's done. Yum.


16 comments:

Lynda (Granny K) said...

Definately going to try this one! Thank you!

Susie said...

This looks so yummy, especially in such a pretty cup!

Kathleen Tracy said...

Yes, it HAS to be made in a pretty cup!

Scrapatches said...

I am going to have to try this. Your cup is so pretty! Thanks for sharing ... :) Pat

Heartsdesire said...

What a great idea. Thanks for recipe. I think I could eat this for breakfast, lunch or dinner, but I shall have to go out and buy myself a pretty cup first. Yours is lovely.

Louise said...

I must definitely try this..growing up my Father used to make us Chocolate Bread Pudding with warm lemon sauce...i asked him once or twice for the recipe but he said it was in his head...he was a cutie and I loved him a lot! Sure do miss him!

Susannah said...

Sounds yummy to me ... especially in such a darling cup! Glimpses of your sweet quilts is exciting to me.

Susannah

Anonymous said...

The perfect comfort food for a cold day!
Liz B.

Marie said...

Merveilleuse recette,merci,la petite tasse est adorable,MC from France

Purl Buttons said...

Sounds DELICIOUS!

Auntea said...

I think it is destiny! I baked whole wheat bread yesterday, I can't wait to try this. I have been wanting a new breakfast recipe and this will be wonderful. I even farm fresh eggs from a friend. Thank you, thank you for the recipe!

Regina said...

Yum! I'm going to try this after dinner tonight,I love Bread Pudding anytime.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I used to have a very similar recipe from Weight Watcher's that I made every morning for months! It was a good mix of protein, fruit(it called for an apple)and the bread. I think it used artificial sweetener, skim milk and a little cinnamon, also. Thanks for the reminder--I am going to start making this again!

Anonymous said...

Wish I hadn't already had breakfast this morning... sounds fabulous. Gail

Cathy said...

That looks so yummy. I'm going to try that in the morning. Thanks so much for sharing. Hugs

Elly D said...

Oh this looks yummy! I too love bread pudding and it was also a favourite of my grandmother. I will certainly be trying this out in about 2 minutes I think ;) Thank you for sharing your recipe. Love your pretty cup too!

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails