Friday, October 8, 2010

Antique Hexagon Crib Quilt

More about Hexagons! After I wrote the last blog post, I looked and looked and then finally found this photo of  a crib quilt that was made in 1850 in one of my antique quilt books. I was really inspired by it when I made my own little hexagon quilt with the dark background that will be in The Civil War Sewing Circle. Unfortunately, while I was making the 16 quilts/projects for the book, not to mention writing all of the delightful text, I did NOT have time to piece this one all by hand - no, sorry, I do not have a staff to make my quilts or write my books for me - and so took the shortcut and appliqued the "flowers" onto background squares to make it go a little faster and still make my deadline (see my quilt on the cover of the book in the post below). Now I wish I had had the time to make it this way.

Don't you just love the scrappy look of this quilt (taken from the book America's Glorious Quilts) and love love love how they're all put together with the little black hexagon spacers? You and I can do this too - I know we can! Remember, just take it ONE hexagon at a time, LOL. Another future project I'm absolutely dying to try. Hey, at least I have lots of leftover scrappy hexagon flowers so I'm sort of on my way already! Told you, once I started I couldn't stop . . . 
 

13 comments:

Bonnie said...

Oooh, I really like that hexagon with the black spacers. I'm naming you an enabler also! LOL. I haven't finished the last two small quilts I started. Time to get cracking. By the way, I think you are definitely allowed to whine on your blog. We understand what you are going through. Congratulations on the spaghetti and meatballs. Simple accomplishments add up.

Maybe this is the time to dream up your next book? Bonnie in Va.

*karendianne. said...

Now this, this is eye-catching for sure. Inspiring most definitely and about enough to make a girl consider a trip "off the reservation" to play with this design! Wow. What a fun visit. Thank you for sharing. Delighted! *karendianne.

antique quilter said...

ok thats it I have to make one of these LOVE It with the black it is so stunning I can see this hanging on my wall
I am really looking forward to your new book!
keep us posted as to when its available to buy
hope your having a great day and feeling a bit better....
keep taking it easy, give your self time to heal!
Kathie

Jeanne said...

Kathleen, I'm basting 3/4" hexies from Brackman's Civil War Homefront jelly roll & thought I'd decide setting when finished. Thanks for sharing the antique baby quilt w/black spacers; it's perfect for my project. BTW, I found using paper clips, instead of pins, to stablize papers is very efficient.

Quiet Quilter said...

Love the look of the hexies!

Darlene's Quilts and Stuff said...

hexagons are one of my favorite motifs and the quilt looks great with the black accent. Can't wait to see yours.

marian said...

Kathy, it's gorgeous and those little black accents set it off perfectly..i LOVE scrappy quilts! your little hexies look delightful :)cheers, Marian x

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Love the hexagons and the colors you have used. Thanks for sharing!

Hope you are feeling better, Carolyn

Anonymous said...

I think I like your version better Kathy. Looks more like flowers. Isn't it great we all have different taste with a mutual goal.

LindaIN

hyvana said...

Perfeito, que trabalho mais lindo, parabéns. Um forte abraço e Deus ti abençoe.

Leeanne said...

Just stumbled onto your blog...not sure from where, but you will now find me as a follower...a wee scroll down the pages tells me I like your quilts.

Anonymous said...

My Hexagon quilt top is the shape of a Hexagon,how can I make it square?Guess I have to cut off some of it?Help!Thanks,Can some body send me info by email?Kffrmw88@comcast.net

Patchwork Daily Desire said...

I love it!
I started last summer, being curious about english paper piecing...I couldn't stop, and I can't stop!
I just posted pictures with my own quilt, on my blog. It's amazing how nice and sweet this technique can "take" you...and you want make more and more hexies...till when!?
Happy sewing!

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails