Sunday, May 23, 2010

Dinner in the Garden

Look what I found. I can't believe my luck. I saw these "English Rose" plates at Macy's last year and fell in love with them but I didn't really need new dinnerware and besides they were too expensive so I just drooled and forgot about them. I went back once to see if they were on sale, but no such luck. 


Yesterday, I stopped in at a Home Goods store near me looking for something else and lo and behold, there they were--about 1/3 the price! Of course I snatched them up because I knew it was meant to be and I'd probably never see them again. They match my kitchen and dining room--a pale bluish-green with red accents. They really look like antique English china, don't they?

My husband just shook his head when he saw them. We really don't need any plates, there are 3 boxes of dishes I rarely use in the basement. But these are different . . . they're sooo pretty and dinner will be so much more enjoyable on these plates I told him. I'll probably cook more too, I said. And the food will taste great! Maybe I'll even eat less since I'll be busy looking at the flower border the whole time . . . . or gazing into his eyes, lol.


I think we'll have to have a romantic dinner in the garden tonight, pretending we're dining in the English countryside (even if it is only Chinese takeout . . . ). And then maybe I'll get my daughter to watch Sense and Sensibility with me tonight -- for the 17th time.

 

22 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Oh my Kathleen, the dishes are so beautiful. And it is most appropriate to watch Sense and Sensibility after a romantic garden dinner :-)

Sue said...

Sense and Sensibility sounds wonderful from one who has been sitting in her English country garden today enjoying the sunshine. Shame I don't have any of those plates to dine off.

Kathleen Tracy said...

Oh Sue, I envy you! I'm a lifelong Anglophile and have only visited once.

Hand Quilting Nana said...

OMGosh. These are the PERFECT dishes. I'd buy them even if I had a 100 sets in my basement. LOL

Kathleen Tracy said...

FYI--they will have grilled barbequed chicken, fresh green beans and corn on them tonight--courtesy of my beloved husband, the chef . . . .

Pat said...

They are beautiful Kathy! Enjoy!
from Texas

SewCalGal said...

Woo hoo! You are a fantastic shopper. These plates were destined to be with you. Love them!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

I'd have bought these as well! Good for you for taking the blessing that was offered you!

Anne-Mettes Oaser said...

I do understand you :-) - the plates are fantastic and they sure were ment for you to buy them. I hope, you will enjoy the food extra, when you use the plates.

Lori said...

They were meant to be! And so beautiful!!

Susan said...

I don't think you can have too many dishes. I only have one to use now as we are moving AS SOON AS WE SELL OUR HOUSE but I do have several sets packed away. A change of season or even a change of mood is the perfect reason to change dishes.........

Yours are lovely. I know you will enjoy them.

free indeed said...

Wonderful find! I too, love dishes. I don't want to pay the high prices, but I am always looking for something. I change my dishes with the seasons or holidays....I love a pretty table scape. Would love to have tea with you in your lovely garden with your lovely dishes!

Kathleen Tracy said...

Changing dishes with the seasons makes perfect sense to me. Is it Fall yet?? I'll start looking for some pretty ones soon . . . .

Connie204 said...

It was truly meant to be. Have fun with them.

Julie-Ann said...

Oh - they are so beautiful and very girly. I think there are perfect for summer in the garden or winter by the fireplace when you want to be in a garden! Enjoy. I am a Pride and Prejudice girl myself.

jennifer said...

can you EVER have too many roses?

no!
clearly not!

i'm seeing long afternoon teas; fresh scones & cream; lavender shortbreads; & breezy summer novels...

enjoy!

Robin said...

Beautiful!! I just love plates, too!

Daniƫlle said...

Of course they are different hihi!! Have fun cooking the romantic way and enjoy the plates!! Have a happy quilting day, Daniƫlle and one can never watch too much S&S!!!

tich said...

It has got to be Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth as Mr Darcy! The plates are beautiful!!

Beth said...

Beautiful plates. The colors are just perfect.
I could watch Sense and Sensibility any time. I love Pride and Prejudice too.
Enjoy your new dishes.

Anonymous said...

Some of my favorite things! Lovely china, a husband who cooks, Sense and Sensibility, and Quilts!!

Linda said...

What a find! Doesn't it just seem like it was meant to be? They are beautiful. I love your 'justifications'!! I've used those myself! Dishes can become addictive, just like quilts!

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails