Friday, January 18, 2013

My New Morning Perk Me Up


I love my morning coffee and you can imagine how upset I was this past Christmas when I put my freshly ground coffee into the coffeemaker, turned it on and nothing happened. What?? Oh, come on. If there was ever a time I needed a cup of hot coffee it was Christmas morning before all of the hectic activity began. I had gotten up early before everyone else and just wanted to relax by myself before we opened presents and I had to cook the turkey.

I stood there staring at it, willing it to work. Please please please. The light went on but nothing happened. Not one drip. I even tried plugging it into a different outlet but the heating element seemed to have burned out. What timing! I briefly wondered if there were any stores open on Christmas morning so that I could rush out and buy a coffeemaker. I finally fished out a really old one-cup drip model  from the basement and used it three times. 

The next day I decided I'd had it with drip coffeemakers -  I never really liked them and was tired of replacing one every few years, no matter how expensive the brand. Plus, one thing I hate about all drip coffeemakers is that the coffee never gets hot enough for me or stays hot. Always lukewarm. And, after it sits for a bit, it burns and tastes terrible.  

It was time for a change. I did my research and settled on an old-fashioned percolator based on 500 (!) five-star reviews on Amazon. Can you believe it? I think it must be a new "retro" trend. I couldn't wait for delivery, however, so I went shopping. All the top brand stores were out of this particular one but the last store I tried before giving up - Sears - was the charm. They had a ton of them AND it was on sale! Good old Sears. Now I really felt like I was back in the 60s . . . . 


Isn't it elegant? Every morning I wake up and feel like I'm on the set of Mad Men.  It looks looks so cute sitting on the counter and wow does it give me that good old-fashioned coffee taste. This Presto percolator that I bought keeps the coffee at the perfect piping hot serving temperature for hours without overheating it or burning it.


I've owned both inexpensive drip makers and expensive ones.  The percolator seems to give me a really good, hot cup of coffee. My son is a big fan of the old TV show Twin Peaks and when he saw my new percolator he laughed and said "Oh, THAT'S what a percolator is!" I guess he never bothered to look it up.
                                                               

[Waitress pours Cooper's coffee:]

Agent Cooper: Wait a minute! Wait a minute! [sips, sighs blissfully] This is-- excuse me--a DAMN fine cup of coffee. I've had I don't know how many cups of coffee in my life, but this is one of the best.


    If it's good enough for Agent Cooper . . .

I'm not a coffee snob and I've heard that coffee "experts" will say that a percolator is about the worst possible way to make coffee. But, I'm sorry  - my experience is that it definitely tastes different from regular drip coffee and I think it's richer, hotter and stronger tasting. And I absolutely LOVE it. Reminds me of the old days. No plastic parts to a percolator and no plastic aftertaste. I read somewhere that perked coffee also contains less caffeine so I guess that means I can drink even more coffee! And it somehow stays hot without burning, unlike coffee sitting on drip burners.


Let's see, I've had my coffee. What stupid things can I accomplish today ?? Maybe I'll make myself one of those frilly aprons . . . or a cherry pie.


23 comments:

Kathy said...

I love your new percolator! Haven't seen one of those in a long time. I am a big coffee drinker too!!!! Just gotta have it.

Jo C. said...

Good for you! The same thing happened to me a few months ago. Make the coffee...nothing..and this was a machine i paid $200 for and it was only a year old. Seriously, i can't seem to keep a coffeemaker more thn two years, no matter what i pay for it. This time i got the $19 Mr Coffee. Next time i'm gonna try the percolater!

Susan said...

AMEN! We have a Keurig and I love it for it's convenience. I have to have decaf and hubby likes all the caffeine that he can get, so the Keurig works best for just the two of us, but when we have company over I bring out our old Corning electric percolator...it really does make THE BEST coffee ever!

Louise said...

Oh my gosh I loved reading your post today. My husband and I had almost the identical coffee pot given to us as a wedding gift in'64. I am with you regarding the drip coffee makers. Never a hot cup of joe! Thank you for sharing your brand with us. I was also reminded of Harrison Ford in Witness telling Kelly McGillis..now that's a good cup of coffee. I don't think it was in the script, he just threw it in there.

Mary said...

How true A good cup of coffee tastes. I remember the line from "Twin Peaks". Cute.

Anna said...

I also have a love/hate relationship so use a Keurig in my sewing room and have a french press down stairs...that way if the electricity goes out I can still boil water (gas stove) or over the BBQ and use the french press. lol ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

Debbie Rogowski said...

I think you still need to get that extra pot. I keep an old fashioned put on the stove coffee pot, corning ware actually. When the power goes out I can still put this pot on the stove (gas) and make coffee. We've been the hit of the neighborhood for many years because of it.

Beth said...

My Dad still hs that same percolator. They never did like the drip for the same reasons you mentioned.

Kathleen Tracy said...

Does that make me old enough to be your mom???

Betty Lou said...

I remember the electric percolators, loved the sound of the brewing coffee-----and the smell. Your so retro/modern!

regan said...

I didn't know they still made those! Holy cow! A gentleman in the office brought in a thermos of coffee one day, and when he poured his cup, I remember saying, "Do you have a percolator at home?" and he said yes! I could actually smell the difference! It smelled just like the coffee mom made when I was growing up! It's a beautifully rich smell.....you never forget it! I think I'm going to Sears tomorrow!!! :o) Thanks!

Me and My Stitches said...

I have never had coffee from a percolator! Now I want to try it!

LuAnn said...

You know I think I still have my Farberware percolator from years ago. Not sure why I stopped using it unless maybe all of the drip pots hit the market and I switched. If I still have it, I'm going to try it tomorrow. Wonder what Starbucks would say if they knew I was going to perk their coffee.

ozone3 said...

Sometimes the simple things are the BEST things!! Enjoy your new "toy".

Anonymous said...

This post made me smile, caffeine makes me zip about doing stupid things too, so I love the poster at the end!
Just to say I've been following your blog for a while and I really enjoy it. I've never made a small quilt, but I love the fabrics you use and the way you put colours together.
I hope you continue to enjoy your new coffee maker, and best wishes for the new year.
Kate, Bristol, UK.
kate_orchardmerkel@o2.co.uk

Rosa said...

Enjoy your new toy!!

June said...

I still have my old coffee pot (percolator) from 1967, and it still works! Haven't used it in years as I now drink TEA! Uh, all I need is hot water and a cup (and a teabag, of course). How's that for convenience? If I want coffee, I go to Mickey D's, heehee.

Anonymous said...

NOthing smells as good as percolated coffee! I just had this discussion with a friend this week.

Good for you!

Cindy

Little Penpen said...

I remember my grandma's percolator, used to sit on her kerosene heater,and I loved the sound it made while percolating. I've seen someone else mention going back to a this method lately... now i want to try one!

Ingrid said...

I usually end up microwaving my coffee from my drip coffee maker because it's not hot. Was very tempted to buy a percolator I saw at Target today! LOL!

DianeM said...

Off to amazon to add your percolator to my wishlist...I do love a strong cup of joe & the vintage look is awesome! What I did during Hurricane Sanndy was heat water to boiling on the stove (we still had gas) then pour it into my drip coffeemaker over the grinds to get 'brewed' coffee...this was after about 3 days of drinking (gasp) instant!
Smiles, DianeM

Shakerwood said...

We have a dual pot drip coffee maker since Hubby can't have caffeine and I can't live without it. But my complaint has always been the same. The first cup is pretty good but then I spend the rest of the day heating it up in the microwave. I checked out Amazon and they have two. A 6-cup and a 12-cup. Funny thing is the price is only about 50 cents difference! Which size did you get?

Anonymous said...

I know just what you mean. I have a Keurig and it just died on me one morning and I almost cried. When all else fails, bring out the French Press! I LOVE coffee from a French Press. And all you need for that is boiling water.

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails