Friday, May 1, 2015

Log Cabin Crazy


Don't you just love log cabin quilts?  The log cabin block is such a wonderful traditional quilt block and has always been one of my favorites. This pattern has gotten a lot of buzz on my Facebook page and Facebook group ever since I posted a photo of this antique log cabin doll quilt.


Our friends Sue and Marian in the groups decided to reproduce it and, after seeing their fun versions, I decided to use this as our monthly doll quilt challenge in those online small quilting groups. (We try to make one quilt per month but I know that many of you have so many other projects you also want to work on so if you can make a couple by the end of the year you're doing great. There's no pressure.)

 

Sue's finished log cabin quilt. So close to the original you almost can't tell them apart.


Here's Marian's version. 

                           

               Take a look at another cute one - a doll quilt Annie made from an old orphan log cabin block.

I started a new log cabin project myself a few month ago. It still needs to be quilted but was inspired by this little log cabin coaster I made a couple of years ago. Yes, it's a little bigger but still small. . . . 



Awhile ago I was asked to review a quilting book by the Fons & Porter team on the topic of log cabin designs. It looks like they are still offering the book as a free copy. Twenty-four pages, free patterns and everything you could possibly want to know about Log Cabin quilts.



The book gives options for making the blocks in different sizes and includes some clever ideas and many helpful tips. There's even a pattern for a small log cabin doll quilt. You can download a copy of this book here. Even if you've never made one of these quilts, the patterns are simple enough once you get the hang of it.

Even though you've seen this a million times, here and on my Facebook page, it's still my favorite log cabin doll quilt - from my Prairie Children& Their Quilts book.




One more log cabin for inspiration - My husband was working with a client about a year ago when he spotted an antique quilt displayed in a frame on the wall as they were walking through an office building. He stopped in his tracks and said: "Look at that - a log cabin quilt." A silk log cabin quilt, as a matter of fact. I was glad he took the time to take a photo and send it to me. Isn't it lovely?  Would have been fun to see it in person.


I'll bet you've now become inspired to make a log cabin quilt yourself. Why not join us?  I will look forward to seeing some of your quilts posted in the small quilting groups. I know I want to go straight to my sewing room and pull out my bag of 1" scrap strips!




7 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

The Log Cabin pattern has to be one of my all time favorites. I love the many layouts and the simplicity of the pattern. Yours are so pretty.

Anna said...

So sweet! I especially love the little log cabin coaster! Great gift ideas.

quiltgrannie said...

I love the log cabin block. You can make so many different designs with it!! A fun pick for May!!

sue bennett said...

Great inspiration. That antique version said you have to make me.
Thanks..

Jennifer M said...

Kathy the antique version does speak to me. I want to make it. Hopefully this month...we are at the beginning of the month, so I'm hoping it's do able: ))

Rosa said...

Love them all and your fabric combo.Great job!

Archeage Girl said...


Hey (•̀ᴗ•́)و ̑̑ I'm new here~~Play Archeage?Follow 2archeage

Buy Archeage Gold ------ Cheap Archeage Gold

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails