Monday, March 30, 2015

Quilt Fest Chicago - Red & White


The International Quilt Festival was here in Chicago this past weekend and I got a chance to attend last Friday. I was so excited to see the Ruby Jubilee exhibit. My favorite part -  the miniature red & white quilts, of course. (My apologies, though - I am never able to take good photos at this place. The lights are just way too bright. My camera is pretty inadequate and I don't really take the time to fool with the settings the way I should. I'm always too excited to see the quilts, never mind the camera. So, none of these pictures really do any of the quilts justice.) 


For my Janiac friends - "Dear Karla" made by Karla Zadnik and Janet Armstrong. There were four (!) Dear Jane quilts on display at the show but I was only allowed to take photos of this one. 


The Ruby Jubilee exhibit, celebrating 40 years of Quilt Festival and honoring the red and white tradition, made its debut last year at Quilt Festival in Houston. I was happy to see that it came to Chicago this year.

Here's an excerpt about the exhibit that was in the Houston Chronicle last fall -

"Quilts in the jubilee exhibit were inspired by Infinite Variety, a seminal 2011 red-and-white-quilt show in New York, said Karey Bresenhan, president of Quilts Inc., which hosts the event. Quilters have used ruby to show love, blood and victory for centuries. White, denoting innocence, was often used as relief to the bold red. The New York show, which honored longtime quilt collector Joanna S. Rose's 80th birthday, featured her 651 red-and-white quilts and inspired quilters across the country. 'This is our 40th anniversary, and rubies celebrate 40 years of marriage, so we called it Ruby Jubilee,' Bresenhan said, adding that the exhibit includes 125 red-and-white quilts from 1974, the festival's first year."  





Amazing . . . . but wait until you see these little marvels - 


These small red and white quilts were EXQUISITE!











My heart was going pitter, patter, as you can imagine.








 I will look through my photos and see if I have any of the rest of the show that are decent enough to show you later this week.


20 comments:

Renée Welton said...

Wow....those are gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

I bet it gave you some ideas for our monthly challenges.

Linda in IN

Jennifer M said...

Love, love, thank you! My heart was going pitter patter too and I wasn't even there! LOL. Just gorgeous:))

Ann in PA said...

Wow, those red & white quilts are beautiful! Don't know which mini is my favorite...the pineapple with applique vine, the basket, ahhhh...love 'em all. Thanks for sharing.

Cheryl said...

Ooolala! Gorgeous quilts, mini and full size. Lots of inspiration, thanks for sharing.

Lori said...

All of the little red and white quilts were made by 3 woman? Wow!

sue bennett said...

Those are beautiful.

sue bennett said...

I think that pineapple one is one of my favorites. Would love to see this show.

Leeanne said...

That is one display worth seeing!

MamaT said...

Thank you so much for posting these pictures. I have a quilt in the Ruby Jubilee Exhibit and I can see it hanging up high in one of your pictures. I saw it in person in Houston but didn't make it to Chicago.

Karen said...

Kathleen, thank you so much for taking pictures and sharing them with us. These red and white quilts are beautiful and bring on a whole new inspiration of ideas.

Deb said...

what a wonderful display those mini`s are just awesome and such perfect detail and work incredible thanks for sharing my heart is still pitter pattering..LOL

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, lots of inspiration there, thanks for sharing.
Patrisha B

Marie-Pierre said...

WHAOUHHHH, it's very beautiful, i like the little red and white quilts.
The festival is every year ???
I'm french, but my son and her wife are living in Chicago......for a next travel ???
Thank you for the pictures.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Swoon! Gorgeous red and white quilts, but those minis ... wow oh wow.

Vickie said...

Woe thanks for the red and white mini show! Love minis.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely breathtaking, especially the miniatures. Hard to believe they were all done by three quilters. Thank you so much for sharing your photos. I am so inspired. Judy

~Kris~ said...

I was at the show on Friday also and posted some photos on my blog as well. I was kind of surprised that there were not so many people or vendors as I expected from previous years. Still it was a beautiful display and a great day for quilts.

Anonymous said...

Great post! There was a lot of hard work by some wonderful gals to put the Ruby Jubilee exhibit together. I'm looking forward to hanging this exhibit in Portland, OR at Quilt! Knit! Stitch! in August. (www.quilts.com)

marian said...

Kathy, what gorgeous eye candy!! How cute are those R&W minis.. makes me want to make another one :))

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails