Thursday, October 9, 2014

Whatcha Making?


Don't you love surprises? Yesterday's mail brought a nice surprise - eighty 6" x  6" fabric squares from a recent Small Quilt Group Charm Swap. I knew they were coming but had no idea what they would look like. 


Wow. What a nice variety. When you sign up for the swap, you buy a little over a yard of one fabric, cut it into 40 squares and send them to the swap hostess. She sorts them out and sends you 40 different print squares that others have sent to her. How much fun is that?


True, you have to pay for shipping and yardage, and so maybe it's not exactly cost effective, but it's fun to get so many different pieces of fabric to use in my small, scrappy quilts. And lots of prints I have never even seen before. I'm able to get a lot of mileage out of the six-inch size. Some quilters consider these scraps, and they toss them away. They're like jewels to me. I signed up twice for 2 sets of charms so I received 80 squares. I don't have 80 friends who quilt (or friends period, aside from all of you!) to swap fabric with so it works really well for me.


This month in my Yahoo Small Quilt Group we are working on making square in a square blocks for our small quilts of the month.



I spent some time this morning playing around with the squares and finding good combinations of prints for making my blocks. 


Now I have some smaller scraps left over to add to the pile . . . . 


By the way, is is Fabriholic or Fabricoholic??   Click here to join my group. We'll be doing another fabric swap next year.




8 comments:

Ann in PA said...

Kathy, I love what you are doing with the charm squares! Your scrap baskets are a cute as your scraps! : )

Linda in IN said...

You match colors so well. Love your blocks. Me I just seem to hoard mine. I still have the ones from the last swap.

Jennifer M said...

Looks great, you have some wonderful combinations started:)

Yvonne said...

What a great idea! Love the fabric and cute blocks you are making!

Anonymous said...

Oooh, I wish I had participated in this swap. I certainly will next time...can't wait! Sandi S. in San Angelo, Texas

Me and My Stitches said...

How fun! It looks like you received a great variety. I love your stacks of scraps - oh the fun I could have with those!

Regina said...

I'm going to join your group. I would like to do a block or a fabric swap.
I sent a package to your P.O. box, it should have arrived by now.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful fabrics! Jane

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails