Friday, September 19, 2014

Fabric Scraps

They're doing wonderful things with fabric scraps these days. Not me, but some people. I can't seem to get a handle on my scraps so I sure could use some ideas.


My scrap basket is actually made from scraps . . . . It's probably trying to tell me something. I often think of throwing them all out but can't do it. Maybe I need to find more ways to use them up.

For instance, I love this necklace from Anthropologie -

                                                         DIY Anthropologie Inspired Scarf Necklace. I'm thinking it might be interesting to do as a bracelet too.

Wonder if this would work with my Civil War repro scraps??  I guess you would just need to connect long strips, tie a few knots and voila! Fabric scraps necklace/scarf. 

                                                                Cute! The Life of a Cheap Chickadee: Fabric Scraps Necklace

Here are some colorful braided strips strung together and accented with a fabric flower. 

I'm guessing it would never look this good on me, however. I'd probably just look like someone dumped my basket of scraps on my head in a fabric bucket challenge . . . .

Burgundy upcycled multi-strand jersey fabric necklace

                        Etsy TheOffBeatArtisans YoYo Blossom neckpiece fabric necklace made from recycled fibers ADJUSTABLE - Stylehive

               Yoyo  necklace anyone?
                                                 
                                        Coral pink multi-strand upcycled elastic jersey fabric necklace with removable brooch

                                                        African Fabric Knotted Bib Necklace by by paintedthreads2 on Etsy, $ SOLD


                                          Teething necklace for mom to wear and baby to chew on. Made out of vintage sheets

Apparently, this one is a baby teething necklace for mommy to wear. Glad I'm out of that phase . . . . Girl, make sure that doesn't bleed onto your white shirt when it gets wet. 

                                         Fall Fabric Necklace Project

             This one is even kind of cute. 

Upcycled infinity NECKLACE

Let me know if you've ever tried doing something like this with fabric strips and if it worked -  then maybe I'll try it too.


17 comments:

Cathy said...

How about just pulling them out at random and sewing them all together to make a crazy scrap quilt. They could all be cut into strips that require the least amount of trimming and if they vary that's ok. Sort of like a puzzle of scrap strips. :)

Cathy ♥

Heartsdesire said...

Some of those projects look quite interesting, but I know for sure, I'd never make any of them. I think it's either throw out the scraps and get them off your mind, or cut them into squares for a postage stamp quilt. My wicker laundry basket full of scraps has now become unbearable and I don't want to look at it ever again, but I am diligently cutting everything into squares or rectangles and hoping that I will be able to make something from them.

sue bennett said...

I really like the one under the yo yo picture. It looks almost like the yarn I just made using a recycled t shirt. Think I will give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

antique quilter said...

you could just box it up and send them to me! I love making scrappy little quilts as you know!!!! My scrap basket has been depleted again…
one thing I have wanted to make it one of those rugs, thought the scrap basket strips would be good for that.
I haven't tried to make any of these things you have shown but I have made bookmarks with them.
Kathie
check out my blog posts lately lots of little quilts...

moosecraft said...

lol! Not only are you a talented designer... but your style of writing is awesome! Still giggling at the scraps from a bucket challenge for the appearance reference.... lol! You made my day! :-)

moosecraft said...

oh.... and (one day) i hope to use some scraps to make one of those baskets like you use for your scraps. Something like wrapping fabric over clotheseline and zig zag stitching them together... videos and books are around for the how to...

quiltgrannie said...

Kathy, you are lucky to only have one basket of scraps. I hate to admit it but I have several baskets of scraps. I do however have a couple of on going scrap projects that I work on when I feel like it. My scraps make me happy!! No necklace for me LOL

Ruth said...

I think I have a ton of scraps (literally?!?). If I started making necklaces with them, who knows how many I could make. I need to start making more scrap quilts!!!

pens and needles said...

I am with you on this one -- have never had a desire to wear my scraps. Perhaps you could donate them to someone who wants them? That's my way of handling an overflowing scrap basket.

Unknown said...

Oh, don't throw them out! Have a drawing on your web site and give them away.

Marla said...

My friends and I are cutting postage stamp squares and when we are really old (I"m 73) and have to move to the "home", it will be nurses who are gorgeous hunks and we will spend our days piecing and remembering the good old days.

Rosa said...

There are fun projects!

Nicole said...

I've been sewing the Lucy quilt from Miss Rosie's Quilt Co. If you can cut 1 3/4 inch strips from your fabric, that would be a great way to use them up!

mimi'sdarlins said...

I'm working on some braided placemats from strips. Or braided hot pad/trivet with a denim (recycled jeans) backing and insulation in between. I've made hot pads by weaving fabric strips...just turn the edges in using a bias tape maker or your iron.

Radka said...

Some great ideas here :-)
x

Judy said...

What a great post and you're comments made me laugh! I really like the felted leaves necklace.

Unknown said...

This is such a cute idea! It is also a great way to recycle and save scraps. I have never seen these ideas. I am a quilter and am always wondering what do to with my scraps. I will have to try out one of these ideas!
Emily Smith | http://www.fabricfanatics.com

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails