Saturday, January 18, 2014

Cleaning Up in 2014

Two weeks ago I started cleaning out my son's vacant bedroom to make more room for another sewing/work/storage space for myself. My work/business stuff is taking over my creative/sewing space. I am on a mission to clear the clutter and organize my stuff! Throw out the old, make room for the new. It's beginning to look like I've taken on a huge task. But I know I need organization and a clean space to be creative.

Things I have to do: Make or buy some new curtains for the room, put up shelves, get a new table, finish purging whatever my son left behind. Clean the carpet. I need help moving things around in there and getting a bookcase and set of drawers brought up from the basement so I'm waiting for my husband to have some free time to help. He's busy and stressed so I can see it's going to take awhile for me to actually have that room set up without some help. In the meantime I can dream about organizing a new space, can't I?  The room is green and I'd love to paint it blue but that will have to wait until spring or summer, if at all. Maybe I'll learn to love the green. I saw this cute photo yesterday and think I need to get me some pegboard too : )  Never thought to paint it . . . .
 
I've spent time this past week pulling out my resources, getting ideas:



I've been saving this page I tore out of a magazine for a couple of years . . . . I know I could create some pretty things if I had this room : )  I'd keep it clean too, I promise.



 
This organizing has carried over to the rest of my home now. I've started to de-clutter that too. I just cannot be creative or productive if my home is cluttered or not clean. Messes really mess up my mind and make me cranky and less productive. I bought this nifty Electrolux cordless vacuum (with a detachable dustbuster!) to help me keep up with the dust and dirt on all my hardwood floors. It's not a replacement for the big vacuum but it's easy to take out for a quick sweep every day if I need to. It even works on some of our low-pile area rugs. Karen commented on my Facebook page that I probably liked it so much because it's blue. Yep, it works for me if I have pretty cleaning tools.

 
Funny, when my house is clean I often find that I am in a better mood and then have more energy and time to be creative. After I cleaned I even went to the gym to exercise. And hey, I also made that pincushion, LOL. Okay, it's not a quilt, but until I get more organized and clear my head a little, that may be all I'm able to do . . . .
 
 
Let's hope I can keep this up. Maybe an organized space + an organized mind  =   a healthier, happier, more productive me in 2014.
 


 

21 comments:

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

what you said times 10. Best wishes on a more centered life.

Sandy said...

I'm so with you! I'm also trying to organize - I'm sure many of us are this time of year. So far I've made a very small dent in my sewing room. The good news is I made a much larger dent in my file cabinet! Paper is so much easier to throw away. Good luck Tracey, and wish me the same!

Sweet Woodruff said...

It looks so nice and inspiring. Inviting and ready to play. I LOVE that you love civil war fabrics. All the blogs seem so modern fabric oriented which is fine; I like that too. But old fashioned fabrics are my favorite. Remind me to hang out in here more. :)

Christine S said...

I'm the same way. I hate messes. When my house is messy or needs cleaned, I can't get much sewing done. It nags at my mind until I do it. Then I feel so relaxed and ready to sew! I wish I had an Ikea close, so much I want there and the shipping is outrageous! I made a peg board like that but I used free paint from Lowes, so it's kinda bla. I had bright orange and my husband said it was too loud, but I love orange, so I just may re paint it :)

Carmen y Prady said...

Un cuarto de costura precioso y muy ordenado y limpio.
Un beso.

Pamela said...

I'm with you and need to do the same. Over time, my organized room has become chaos. Even my 4-year-old granddaughter commented on the mess. My sewing has taken over the front room outside of my sewing room and it's becoming disorganized, as well. I really need to finish some projects to get them out of the way.

Melanie said...

I inspires me to walk into my sewing room and it be organized and ready for a project. I just need to work on the discipline to get it that way -- and keep it there. Kind of like that little kid. Picking up after them self in a toy room.

Anonymous said...

I need to follow your lead--I have too many things going on and need both mental and physical organizing!

quiltgrannie said...

I need to do the same, I need to go through my crafts and donate all the things that I no longer have an interest in. I have to have organization in my life or I cannot function!!!

Anonymous said...

I second having a clean, organized space to keep supplies and work in. I can't function in clutter. And worse, I dislike a mess wasting my time...life is to short.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I just purchased the same vacuum at Costco last week. I'm thinking I will use it more often than the big one that has to be hauled out--mine's blue too! I'm hoping to do some de-cluttering this winter--my closets are at maximum capacity--can't wait to see your finished work room!

Karee said...

sympatico! clean, clear, organized space = creativity and energy.

Here's to a creative 2014 starting with 2 boxes filled and taken to Goodwill. Baby steps led to the moon.

Pam in IL said...

I so agree with you! I'm working on clearing the clutter and organizing my home too. I just wish Hubby would quit leaving his projects all over the house, lol.

kmcallister said...

Kathy, I bought a storage building and my husband fixed it as my sewing studio. In it, I painted my peg board LIME GREEN and I love it. The walls are white paneled and the lime green just looks so clean and fresh.

Ulla's Quilt World said...

I love the pincusion! :)
Hugs, Ulla

Unknown said...

Go for it. House cleaning is always a nice and proper way to greet the new year. Long as it's done right and the proper tools are lined up in place. Which is something you have settled, I'm sure, though there are some angles and options that are open for another look see.

Deidra Shaefer @ Minuteman

Unknown said...

Kudos to you for doing such a great job in organizing your son's old room, Kathleen! It was a lot of work, but you were able to do each tasks properly. How is it now? Ever thought of getting expert cleaners to aid you?

Eleanor Estrada

Anonymous said...

When we were in college, my soon to be husband, made me a valentine card - designed and painted it. He roomed with an Art major. I still have the card - it's always been my favorite.

Barbara Daniel Cissne
barbaracissne@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy, Happy Valentine's Day. The sweetest thing anyone ever did for me on Valentine's Day was way back in maybe 1975. My older sister was a young mother and busy with a nursing career but she found the time and love to make me a heart shaped cake with pink frosting and I think there were red hots outlining it. She's always been sweeter than that cake to me. Diana Hankins dmhankins@frontiernet.net

Unknown said...

I agree. Clutter can affect our moods and productivity. So it’s really best to start our year with clean and fresh rooms. It’s challenging, especially with moving things around and cleaning the carpets. Some may think to call for help, but you manage to handle it yourself. Great job!

Matt O

Anonymous said...

Clutter and mess really stress me out. I have just sat down with a coffee after doing some oven cleaning. What a tough job. The rest of the kitchen is next!

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails