Friday, January 11, 2013

I Love Log Cabins

Don't you just love log cabin quilts? My husband sent me a photo from work recently. He was working with a client and as he walked through the office building they were in he spotted an antique quilt displayed in a frame on the wall. A log cabin quilt. A silk log cabin quilt, as a matter of fact.


He said he walked around and saw a few more antique quilts displayed all over the building and will take more photos soon so I can see them and share them with you. I wonder if I can get an invite to see them myself . . . .

I think he made a point of showing it to me because I started a log cabin project a few weeks ago. One night after I had gone to bed, my daughter became inspired to browse through my sewing scrap basket (Hmmmm. She said she was looking for something . . . . ). In the morning I woke up early and found this little note on the kitchen island next to my basket of scraps.


"These are pretty."  : ) I thought it was cute that she was looking through my scraps and had pulled these particular fabrics out as her favorites. That morning I had some time while she was still sleeping so I cut the scraps into strips and turned them into a small coaster for her tea mug. 





I love the prints she chose and even though I made this for her I liked it so much I kept going and began another little log cabin project for myself. (It's not finished yet).

The log cabin block is such a wonderful traditional quilt block and one of my favorites. A week later, I noticed a rustic log cabin quilt in the Eddie Bauer catalog that I'd love to make myself. Uh oh, I could feel it coming on . . . Log Cabins on the brain. Coincidentally (or maybe not), around the exact same time, I was asked to review a new quilting book by the Fons & Porter team and - you guessed it. Log cabins! What else? You are going to love this - they are offering it as a free copy to all of you. How about that? 24 pages. Free patterns and everything you could possibly want to know about Log Cabin quilts.
 
                           
 
The book gives options for making the blocks in different sizes and includes some clever ideas and many helpful tips. After seeing the antique quilt in the book I think I really need to make a Courthouse Steps version now. There's even a pattern for a small log cabin doll quilt on page 19. You can download a copy of this book here. Even if you've never made one of these quilts, the patterns are simple enough once you get the hang of it.

(If you are having trouble downloading the book, make sure you update Adobe to the latest version and save the download. If it still does not work, e-mail me.)
 


(My log cabin doll quilt - the pattern is in my Prairie Children book. I'm sure we're going to be making this one for one of our challenges this year.)

Sooo, do you have any special plans for the weekend? Perhaps you will be inspired to make a log cabin quilt. Or, maybe just a coaster if you find you're inspired but only have a little bit of time. I am finally going to get around to putting all of the Christmas decorations away. But if I get that done, who knows?


                                                   Follow me on Twitter -

                                       

30 comments:

Bonnie said...

Oh you enabler you! I love your little tea coaster. I especially like how you quilted it. And, hum, now I want to make a log cabin... darn, I. Can't. Start. Another. Project! But wait for it! I remember I have a white and black and red log cabin started. Oh my, I may need to pull that one out one of these days. Thanks for all the inspiration.

Heartsdesire said...

Next to a nine-patch, I love the log cabin block. It has a lot of history that I've enjoyed reading about. I've looked at your little log cabin quilt many times and have marked the page. I also have a wonderful pattern by Vintage Quiltworks for a courthouse steps quilt. Now that I've been inspired by you, I guess I'll have to make both. This will be a great way to use up a lot of scraps and, perhaps, some fun too.

Janet O. said...

I love that story about your scrap basket and your daughter. How sweet of you to make the little mug rug for her.
Log cabins are so timeless--love them!

Sue said...

Oh, you are the best mom ever! Your post made me smile. =) Your daughter has absolutely wonderful taste in fabrics, you know.
Thank you for posting the linky to the Log Cabin ebook. I've already printed it out. I think it may help me to put a lot of 1.5" strips to use!

Bianca said...

What great taste your daughter has.
Just like you, I have logcabin quilts on my mind. I'm busy with a small one for a customer and after that I will start a big, BIG logcabin quilt for our bed. Look at my blog for pictures of the fabrics and the design I made.
http://biancavdwiel.blogspot.nl/2013/01/fabric-and-color-therapy-stofjes-en.html
It's a lovely block to work with and also my favorite, next to the feathered star, which I combined in one of my first quilts ever.
http://biancavdwiel.blogspot.nl/p/mijn-quilts-my-quilts.html on here it's the 6th quilt.
Have a great weekend and enjoy playing around with fabric!!
Bianca

conny's quilts said...

Such an great idea to make the mugrug! I love it.

taylorsoutback said...

What a great post - log cabin quilts are dear to my heart - have lost count of how many I have made. Finished up a Judy Martin log cabin ("Snake River") right before Christmas (each block had 48 pieces) and have just started piecing the wedding quilt for our son & future daughter-in-law - yep - a log cabin!

Love that sweet mug coaster & thank you for sharing the book link.

Leeanne said...

Our husbands can't help but have an eye for quilts when they are surrounded by them at home!!
I love log cabin quilts too, that must mean I really should make one.

Rosa said...

I love the story with your daguhter and also log cabin patterns.Your mug is very cute!!

Marcia said...

Thanks for sharing the link to the Fons and Porter free log cabin ebook. I have been gathering photos, magazine articles, and patterns ideas for log cabins for a year or so. A log cabin will probably be my next big project and maybe a smaller one or two along the way.
Love the coster - quick and simple.

Sherryl said...

I too have always loved log cabins and, though I've had the best intentions, I'm embarrassed to admit I've not yet made any! I love all the different ways this ebook uses them. I have a book I purchased some time ago that uses them in landscapes and I drool over it frequently - probably should start with something simpler though, ya think? Thanks for sharing the free book!

Ingrid said...

That coaster is really sweet!

Betty Lou said...

Great little coast, have to love Log Cabins in all sizes. The antique silk log cabin is spectacular.

The Civil War Quilter said...

What a great idea to use one block for a coaster. Hmmm...my Mom is a tea drinker and wouldn't she love Log Cabin coasters for under her mugs. Yep, you inspired me!!!

marian said...

Kathy, i believe it was a log cabin quilt that got me interested in quilting, back in the late 1990s. The first quilt that i made is a queen size log cabin quilt which i have on my bed..i love it!!
btw i love Caitlin's fabric choices and the coaster is adorable, what a lovely surprise for her :)))
cheers...Marian

zigomar said...

Thank you for the link for the book, but the download does not work (my Adobe is OK). See to find the book at library.

Sandra B said...

That silk quilt has a beautiful sheen, even in a photo! Your daughter is so funny - lovely coaster! I'm trimming tiny 1.5" hst's this weekend.

Susie Q said...

I love log cabin quilts and have made a few things with log cabin blocks, including some pin cushions as gifts. Thanks for sharing will look for the book. Susie x

gisèle said...

Bonjour, J'ai fait un log cabine que j'aime beaucoup. Vous pouvez le voir sur mon blog.
J,aimerais avopir votre commentaire.
Bonne journée.
gisèle

Me and My Stitches said...

You have done a great job training your family! A husband who notices quilts and takes pictures for you, a daughter who was playing in your scraps! The first quilt I ever made was a log cabin, and they are still my favorite!

Patti L. said...

Just love log cabins. I have tried several times to download the Log Cabin book and it just will not work. Has anyone else had problems? Any suggestions on how to download this beuty? Thanks so much and have all your books and just love your work!

Jeanne said...

I'll be looking forward to a log cabin mini project at the yahoo group this coming year -- it's my absolute favorite block!
Jeanne

Radka said...

What a nice post, and lovely story about your daughter's choice :-)
And yes, one day I will make a log cabin quilt!

Nonstop Quilter said...

Your coaster is just darling. I love the white crocheted basket in the second photo. Did you make it, is the pattern available in a book?

DianeM said...

What a nice Mom you are...that's a great story. I'm sure your daughter was thrilled :)
Smiles, DianeM

Kathleen Tracy said...

The white basket in the photo is from Ikea. They came 3 or 4 in a set.

Kathleen Tracy said...

I contacted Fons & Porter and told them some of you are having problems downloading the book. Hope they can fix it or give suggestions.

Rebecca said...

You are such a great mother. I bet your daughter loves it. I know I do.

Tammy said...

I love log cabins and love the coaster you made for your daughter. What a fun morning surprise. Thank you for the link to the Fons and Porter book - I love them and am downloading the book right now. Hugs!!

Nonstop Quilter said...

Thank you, I shall check out Ikea!

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails