Friday, February 10, 2012

Grout Museum Quilts

Here are some of the quilts from the Grout Museum exhibit. I finally got the photos assembled and created a nifty slide show for you to see. The quilts are fabulous and you should definitely stop by and visit sometime this year. The exhibit runs until September 2012.

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox

*   *   * 

This is Week 2 of the Broken Dishes quilt challenge. How are you coming along? Are some of you making this one this month? Are you using  the colors I chose for mine in the book? Or the red and white option for Valentine's Day? Or are you being  totally creative and making it the way YOU want to make it?  Whatever you have decided, your pieces should be sew together into blocks this week and that shouldn't take too long. I decided against working on this one with you because mine is already finished.


Instead, I am working on a different little quilt.  I recently became inspired by an antique doll quilt and and so am working on making up a pattern for it. I know you'll fall in love with this cute little thing when you see it. More fun things to do with your scraps - drag out your pinks and some of those ugly greens! They're going to work well together in this quilt.

*   *   *
I've been dragging a little myself this week and have been drinking too much coffee in an effort to stay awake and get some things done.


My new favorite coffee. Even if I have a few cups it does not give me jitters.

This is one good reason I need coffee:  Our "sweet" dog woke us up at 1:15 a.m. the other night/morning. She ran downstairs and started barking and growling at the window facing the back yard. My husband let her out in our gated dog run area and checked around the back but saw nothing. Then of course after that I was wide awake and could not fall asleep for hours but still had to get out of bed at 7. I hate when this happens and I only get a couple of hours of sleep and then have to drag myself through the day and drink numerous cups of coffee just to stay awake. Here's a story we watched on the news that evening.  I told my husband I guess we have to stop talking about coyotes before bedtime  -  she must be getting night terrors or something and stays on high alert with her ears perked while she sleeps.


Hearing about that little dog on the news shook me up a bit.

Have a good weekend and prepare to get those borders put on the little Broken Dishes quilt next week. Or maybe - you could just finish it before V-day!


34 comments:

  1. thank you for the smilebox show. beautiful! Lizzie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thank you for the photos, what a fabulous display, I'd love to go.

    We never let our beagle out after dark anymore. Far too many coyotes in this area, we hear them howling every night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so very much for sharing the fantastic museum exhibit....You did a beautiful job to share it with us....
    With very much appreciation......
    Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankyou for sharing such a lovely slide show of these magnificant quilts! Nice to see your work in there too, well done Kathy!
    My heart goes out to those poor coyotes, they are only doing what comes naturally, they are beautiful creatures, I just hope they get through their season without too many hassles for them or people/pets. Unfortunately our wildlife has had it's territory invaded by us......you can see I'm a softy when it comes to wildlife!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a gorgeous display of quilts! Thank you so much for sharing it with us. I hope to get out there to see it sometime this summer.

    I still have to cut my quil out for this month. I've not been feeling the greatest so it's time to catch up on all things quilty :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful slide show. Thank you so much for taking the time to put it together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the slide show. Very interesting.

    Darlis

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for putting together the slide show - i really enjoyed watching that.

    Your dog is so cute! Is she a cockapoo?? We are a cockapoo family and she looks very familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that's quite the slideshow! I enjoyed it very much - Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks! My dog is a Malti-Poo, Maltese/Poodle mix.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Kathy for taking the time to make the slideshow. The music was great and the quilts even better!

    Hope man and beasts stays safe during this time. The poor coyotes are acting out of desperation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for sharing the pics from the museum. Amazing!
    I sewed my blocks this evening for the February Quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. how lovely!

    from my corner of the ever-rainy PNW, i will never make it to the Grout show in person... but i have savoured every single beautiful slide!

    thank you so very much for making such a show for us all who live far away :-)

    oh, the wonderful Little Jane doll quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for the smilebox, beautiful quilts!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Barbara - I am feeling bad about the coyote too and hope they relocate him to a better environment. It's very sad to think of how those of us living in urban areas are pushing so much wildlife out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A trip to the Grout Museum is on my have-to list for this spring or early summer--only 90 minutes away. Should be a great road trip with a few quilting friends.

    Thanks for sharing the museum's exhibit. Smilebox downloaded into my computer as an extra when I added some other program. I didn't know what it was or what I could do with it. I uninstalled it. That probably was a mistake. It certainly creates a nice show.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for the slide show! So many beautiful quilts, so inspiring. I would love to be able to see the exhibit in person.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A beautiful slide show.....Very inspiring, like your wonderful books.

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh wow Kathy, your slideshow was WONDERFUL, i had to watch it twice! What amazing quilts, i am awestruck and very inspired..thank you! cheers, Marian

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you, great way to start my morning with a cup of coffee and looking at the quilts from the show! Ready to head out to work now.
    Mary Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for the slideshow...what a beautiful display of current and vintage civil war quilts! My favorites are the doll quilts by Karan Flanscha.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I so much appreciate seeing your photos of the Grout Museum quilt show in Waterloo. Since I live in Oregon, there is no way I'll make it to Iowa to see it in person. What a beautiful display of gorgeous quilts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you that we here in the Netherlands can enjoy the beautiful collection of quilts from the Grout Museum.
    I really enjoyed it!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a treat for a snowy Saturday here in SE CT. Lovely, lovely slide presentation; the quilts are so beautiful--I especially liked the log cabin--was it cotton or silk fabrics?? Thank you Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  25. Kathleen, Thank you so much for the wonderful slideshow. I so enjoyed seeing all the beautiful quilts. What an honor to be able to show your darling quilts along with Jo Morton and so many beautiful antique quilts.
    Looking forward to seeing the new pattern/quilt your working on. I have always loved hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thant you so much Kathleen for this beautiful exhibit! What a pleasure for the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thankyou so much for linking the video. I am in Australia and this was the next best thing. I love little quilts and have been waiting since before Christmas for Praire Children and their Quilts to arrive from an internet book seller. I have The Civil War Sewing Circle and love all the reproduction fabrics. Your blog is so inspiring. Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Koodo's Kathy, That was a beautiful slide show, Now I really want to go!!! Thanks, Karen S.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Loved the slide show. I just hinted to my DH that we need to make a trip to Iowa before September to see this! I love your dog. My heart melted a bit when I saw your picture. I had a little Malti-Poo named Molly who looked so much like your baby but she was black and white mixed. She died exactly 2 years ago today and my heart still hurts for her.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Kathy,
    I really enjoyed your wonderful slide show. The quilts you photographed made a great presentation, and the music was delightful. I will go back and enjoy it over and over again.
    Thank you!
    Peg in NJ

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you for taking the time to produce the slide show, the photos are great, what a wonderful exhibition.
    Nearly finished the Valentine's Quilt, I will post a photo in the small quilts group tomorrow. It's turned out really pretty.
    Hen x

    ReplyDelete
  32. The quilts, the dolls, the music, especially the music, absolutely fabulous. I've watched the slide show three times now, and enjoyed it every time. So lovely to see your quilts along side Jo Morton's. And the antique quilts are so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wonderful exhibit. Thank you for taking the time to share it with your viewers. =)

    I can relate to doggie story. I LUV my 5 year old 100 lb "puppy"...don't get me wrong. She sleeps in our bed with us. But...there are some frustrating/sleepless nights when she decides that she needs to get up for some reason(s) or other.

    hugZ,
    annie
    anniesrubyslippers.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you for going to the trouble to produce the slideshow. The quilts were so beautiful. Here in Australia there are limited opportunties to see antique quilts on display, loved seeing your quilts & Jo Morton's also.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you're thinking . . .

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails