Thursday, July 21, 2011

More Quilts in the Garden

It's incredibly hot here in the Chicago area. We lost our internet, phone and cable TV service for a few hours yesterday. I was so worried that the power would go out too and that the heat would be unbearable. I  told my husband if that happens I swear I will go to a hotel - I just cannot take the heat. And I'd bring my dogs with me.

Despite the steamy weather, I went outside this morning for a few minutes to hang some more quilts and take pictures. I always say that the photos in the books do not do my quilts justice. They are so much prettier than they appear in the flat shots. Take a look.







I love this quilt. It's called Crosses Mourning Quilt and is from my second book, Prairie Children and Their Quilts. There's a great story in the book relating to an entry from a young woman's diary that inspired me to make it. Etty Scott wrote about the death of her mother from Cholera on the trail West. They had to leave her and move on but they buried her amidst the hills and "heaped her grave with roses."





Time to get out those books again and make a few of these quilts, huh?


19 comments:

Susie said...

Lovely.................

Cheryl said...

All your quilts are stunning, but they look especially cheery in the garden! Stay cool!

Anonymous said...

Love these quilts. That mourning crosses is very striking!

Darlis

Anonymous said...

All of your quilts are gorgeous but I especially love the first one - the eight pointed star. Wow, I really love that one!! kelley

Kathleen Tracy said...

That one is actually very easy - 1/2 square triangles put together to look like a LeMoyne Star. I want to try a real LeMoyne Star someday with set-in seams but in a smaller size.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I really love the top quilt. So cheerful! I stayed in and sewed on my treadle yesterday. These heat index's will kill me. Maybe we'll get a short shower this afternoon.

Leeanne said...

On a day when I'm not feeling 100% you bought brightness to my day, thank you!

Mary said...

What a great way to show off quilts for pictures. Looks like you have a great setting for it too.

Merilyn said...

Really enjoyed seeing your quilts Kathy! Love them all, the Baptist fan quilting in the first one creates a stunning effect on those stars! Love the story behind the Mourning Crosses quilt too!!!

Deb said...

Those quilts are fantastic. Glad you ventured outside to take pictures. We're hot here in Michiga too!!

Christine Staver said...

Your quilts are wonderful and I really love how you photograph them.

The Civil War Quilter said...

Your quilts look great in the garden. My favorite is the Lily, so sweet!

Deb said...

Your quilts are so pretty! I had forgotten about the star quilt...that is on one of my favorites of your quilts. I will have to go back to your books and decide if I have time to make one...

Deb

marian said...

Kathy, what can i say..you quilts are simply gorgeous & inspiring, thanks for the eye candy!!
Hope the weekend brings you a cool change..it's freezing downunder & i LOVE it!!

Bonnie said...

I love how vibrant the quilts look ... for some reason they seem less subdued when you take them. Maybe it is the sun. And, there it is the quilt I've promised myself to make ... the orange peel! Lovely.

Maureen said...

Thank you so much for sharing! You inspire me.

Angie said...

They are just stunning outside!! I have all of your books, and I am working my way to starting on some little quilts. :) Extremely hot here too :/

Anonymous said...

All of them are so nice ! I particullarly love your Peonies, maybe because of the large areas of neutrals. On my to-do list !
Katell, France

Beth said...

Well I loved them in the books but the outdoor shots really do show them off better.

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails