Tuesday, July 5, 2011

More Inspiration

I'm getting inpsired from all sides. I love to see photos of quilts that quilters make from my designs. Kathie has been working feverishly as usual and although I will never, ever be able to keep up with her, it's fun to see her make some of my quilts that are just a tiny bit different than mine. I have a list of some of her designs I want to make someday too. One of my favorites is in the 2011 American Patchwork & Quilting calendar. I was reminded of this when I saw my friend Julia's Ancient Stars quilt.  I cannot believe that I have never made an Ohio Star quilt. I love this block. Isn't this a beauty??

This calendar is hard to find but there are some great quilts in it. My calendar is still stuck on MAY for some odd reason. I have not changed the page yet, LOL, because it's the first time one of my quilts has been in a calendar and I'm savoring the experience. Who cares if it's July? The picture is fun to look at and when people come over and tell me the calendar is on the wrong page I tell them to look closer. No, it's definitely the right page - I'm showing off!


I will have to change it by Fall though to enjoy Kathie's quilt. There's also a lovely photo of a small quilt made by Ann in the same calendar -


It's similar to that one I want to make that's in the latest Fons & Porter Love of Quilting magazine but Ann used 4-patch blocks in hers. This one is just the right size and design and I think I'll make one like it with pink and indigo, using some of my tiny nine-patches I have stashed away. Here, another one that's going right on the list!


The list is getting long. I got a little bit of quilting done this weekend but not much because we were so busy. But you'll be happy to know that I have finished half of the blocks for my daughter's X quilt. This quilt takes priority and if I'm lucky I can get it done this month and then to the machine quilter in August. Why is it taking me forever?

I have so much catching up to do in other areas of my life, quilting is still taking a back seat for a little while. In addition to honing my Scrabble skills so I can beat my husband the Scrabble Master one day soon (!), I'm also focusing on my health and diet, continuing my walking and trying to get and stay well and feel good. Not making any money this way, LOL, but I'm slowing down, experimenting with some new, healthy recipes, sitting in my back garden in the sun a little every day, reading a bit, listening to the birds. Speaking of which, I'm reading a wonderful novel -


I fell in love with the title and cover right away. Here's an excerpt.

Today my priority is running  a couple of errands - going to Whole Foods for some organic Oat Bran so I can make these muffins. I can start adding a little fiber to my diet now and oat bran seems to be the way to go for me - I tolerate it better than wheat bran and not only will it keep the diverticulitis from coming back but it will help my cholesterol too. One muffin a day. Oh, the fun of getting old . . . .


I'll have to buy some blueberries too and possibly add them someday.

11 comments:

Appalachian Quilts said...

You were right....those quilts ARE inspiring!!!

2ne said...

What a nice kalender - it gives inspiration :-)

Unknown said...

The bird sisters book also caught my eye. Going to order it .
Good luck with eating healthy. I've been working at it since last August, trying to eat all the things that fight Cancer cells. I have lost 25 lbs.

Merilyn said...

What a lovely calender, and yes I do love the Ohio Star block too, such a great classic!!!
Good to hear you are starting to return to your patchwork, but also getting your rest and good nutrition too!!! The book you are reading sounds very interesting, I enjoyed reading the excerpt!!!

antique quilter said...

Thanks! what a nice post.
I am happy to hear your feeling better and continue to each day.
very happy to read your sewing again!!!! I am sure in a few weeks you will be back at that machine full force producing again! just keep getting inspired, isn't that easy with all the beautiful antique quilts that pass our way!
Kathie

Diane H said...

Happy to hear your feeling better and making healthy choices - good advise for the rest of us.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy, I'm happy that you are starting to feel better and want to do things. I love watching the birds in my back yard, It's just so pieceful! I'm on my way to the library for an audio book to listen to while I sew. Maybe I can get "The Bird Sisters". Karen in IL.

Heartsdesire said...

So glad to hear you're feeling better and that your creative juices are starting to flow again. I think eating healthy, relaxing with a good book and a little walking, is one of the best ways to help you stay well. I love those sweet little nine-patch blocks that you've been making. I've been making some myself using a yellow and pink combination, which probably doesn't sound very interesting but there's a quilt in "Small Blocks, Stunning Quilts" using these colours and I think it looks great.

Kathleen Tracy said...

It does sound great and I love that book.

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

I love a good calendar for inspiration (like any quilter needs more inspiration!).

I know this is a quilt blog, but I hope you'll share some healthy recipes once in a while. We're trying to eat healthier as well, and sometimes its just plain boring!

Kathleen Tracy said...

I love sharing recipes and lately I've been very inspired to cook so I will do that.

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails