Sunday, July 3, 2011

Happy Independence Day!

It's almost the 4th of July and I was looking for a quilt or two to display this weekend for a barbeque we're having. I did not realize I had made so many small quilts in a red, off-white and blue theme. I'll bet many of you also have some if you look hard enough.



Celebrate Freedom!


“Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves” 

~ Abraham Lincoln


My daughter was watching me while I took these photos of my quilts and said "Mom, you have so many other patriotic pictures and things around the house too. They all have flags or stars in them." I do not - oh, you're right, I guess I do -


 

While you're celebrating the holiday, step back and think about all of the freedoms we Americans enjoy and sometimes take for granted. Education is a big one for me. I think of schoolhouses - and how hard the early Americans worked to establish schools in America so their children could have the best opportunities.


"I believe in America because we have great dreams - and because we have the opportunity to make those dreams come true."

~ Wendell Wilkie


"If you take advantage of everything America has to offer, there’s nothing you can't accomplish."
~Geraldine Ferraro


"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, oppose any foe, to ensure the survival and success of liberty."

~ John F. Kennedy


"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself.”

 ~ Benjamin Franklin



And here's another quote from Ben Franklin, even if if isn't exactly patriotic. Fitting for me to remember and for a weekend of celebrating perhaps. It's been 2 months since my surgery and the doctor said I do not have to stay on a low-fiber diet anymore. Yippee! I can eat almost anything I want. Believe it or not, I've been craving salad for a long, long time. I'll try to go easy on the desserts too though, LOL.


"To lengthen thy life, lessen thy meals."

One more reason for us to celebrate here - it's the littlest girl's birthday! Ophelia (Princess Lia) turned 3 today! Freedom to play and be cute all day . . .




20 comments:

WoolenSails said...

When I see all the things going on the the world, I truly appreciate where I live and the freedoms I have. I hope you and your family have a wonderful day.

Debbie

Susie said...

Great quilts!

Angie said...

Happy happy birthday, Princess Lia!! :D I love all of your little patriotic quilts---makes me want to go pull fabrics and whip one up right now (yeah, right! I NEVER whip ANYTHING up but I sure can wreak a lot of havoc in the trying LOL). Happy July!

*karendianne. said...

Delightful post! Inspiring, too. :)

Jean said...

Love these red, white, and blue quilts!

Beth said...

What a fantastic collection of red/white/blue quilts. I need to get mine mout like now, so I cxan put them out for the 4th.

Ruth said...

There is something about the red, white and blue! You might be tied with Love at Ijustlovequilts.blogspot.com for being the most patriotic quilter alive! I'm not at home, so I can't enjoy my patriotic quilts that I keep up most of the time. Thanks for the pictures!

The Civil War Quilter said...

Wow! An amazing collection of patriotic quilts. I love them all! Happy 4th!

Rebecca said...

a good American quilter would say that one can never make to many red, white and blue quilts. All of yours are beautiful. LOVE the photo of the one with the cookies. Also I love the red and blue one from the book, I made one for myself about a year ago and it is one of my all time favorite quilts I've made. Thanks so much for your designs.

Anonymous said...

thanks for not answering my question

Merilyn said...

Lovely post Kathy, and great news on the dietary intake front!!! Your RW&B quilts are just lovely, enjoyed seeing some old favourites again!!!

marian said...

Kathy, what a deligthul collection of red/white & blue quilts you have, very appropriate for today..happy 4th July!!

Great news from your doctor..eat up & ENJOY!!

oh and btw a very happy birthday to your darling little Lia..she's gorgeous!! x

Kathleen Tracy said...

Dear Anonymous - if you leave your name and e-mail I would be happy to answer your question. Believe it or not, I actually get busy sometimes and have a life outside of this blog. Much of the information you are asking about can be found in my books as well. Have a nice day!

Zuly said...

¡QuĂ© belleza de quilts!
Feliz 4 de julio
Saludos desde Costa Rica,
Zuly Castillo

Karen said...

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY, KATHLEEN. Oh my goodness you have such a wonderful collection of patriotic quilts. I love them all.
And a Happy Birthday to Ophelia too.

D. Leigh said...

What a joy!!! Thank you for all the wonderful pictures. And the Quotes were awesome! And now I'm off to the cookie jar. Blessings to you friend!!

heri back to larkrise said...

What a great quilt show! I love the red white and blue. Thanks for sharing.

Deb said...

Hi! I missed reading your blog yesterday, but it made me laugh today...because I went searching through my stash of mini quilts and discovered...I have NO red/white/blue quilts. What is wrong with me?!! Well, I got out all three of your books I have and went through them. I picked out the pillow "Liberty for me and thee" started it last night. Lo and behold...you have it on your post for 7/4! Next year I will have patriotic quilts!! By the way, I ended up having trouble transferring the embroidery part (no light box...) so I had bought some transfer eze. I picked a similar font on my computer...printed it out as close as size as I could get on to the transfer eze and am sewing away. Have you used transfer eze? So far, so good. I hope it dissolves like it claims to. I have heard good things about it!!
Deb from clutteredquilter.blogspot.com
PS: I think you would like the story on my 6/21 posting called "Phoenix Rising". It's about a mini quilt I made using vintage fabric.

kathy osterby said...

Kathy--I love your little star pillow. Is the pattern for it in 1 of your books?

Janet L. said...

I just was able to buy your Prairie Children and Their Quilts book and can barely wait to start making them. I'm partial to the red, white and blue ones, too!!

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails