Friday, January 22, 2010

What Inspires You?

Darn, it's really hard to write a blog without being able to show you what I'm working on. For the past six months I've kept all of my quilts-in-progress under wraps and yet while I've still managed to write SOMETHING, it's been mostly NOT about my quilts lately (more pictures of puppies, anyone?). Since I can't show you what I'm making for the next book yet (16 NEW quilts and projects), I'll just have to go with some other inspiring photos. Just some of the things that inspire me and maybe will inspire you too.

Like some of you, I'll bet, I often get inspired by playing with my scraps. Give me some time, a nice cup of tea in a pretty mug and some fabric scraps and I'm ready to get creative. I've been itching to make a pink and brown quilt for a long while. Maybe one will appear in the new book, who knows.


This antique pinwheel quilt I saw at a flea market last year inspired me. Love the quilting. How much fun would it be to make a little one like this with scraps? So easy, too.


I'm aways inspired by indigo and red. Simple again.

Magazines are a huge source of inspiration for me and I subscribe to quite a few. There's something so exciting about going out to get the mail and finding a beautiful, glossy magazine in the box filled with inspiring images and projects I'd love to try. Home decorating magazines inspire me as well as quilting magazines and there's a pile of those on the floor next to my night table waiting for me to have time to read through them.

I filed these magazine pictures away for inspiration to use in decorating my NEXT house. Wishful thinking on my part, so don't presume my house actually looks this good or ever will--I can especially imagine the white sofa with my 2 dogs. But I love the light and airy primitive farmhouse look.

And floor to ceiling books!!

                                             
Sometimes I get inspired by seeing patterns or colors in things that are completely unrelated to quilts:

Like, when I'm shopping . . .

I need more dishes or bowls like I need a hole in the head, but I still love to browse anyway and shopping at places like Home Goods really gets me inspired. I absorb all of the colors everywhere and in everything and then somehow bring the inspiration home to work on quilts. Honest, it works. At least that's what I tell my husband when he asks why I need to run out to Home Goods again. It's for the inspiration, dear.


I didn't come home with dishes that day, but I decided I really needed this green cupboard for storage--the price was actually pretty reasonable. But I still hemmed and hawed and wasn't sure, took a picture to show my husband and then finally went back the next day to pick it up. Glad it was still there.

                                       
First thing I did when we got home was take off the green knobs and replace them with antiqued black ones from Lowes. Better, no?



I just threw stuff into the drawers to clear out some of the clutter in my sewing area, so when I have time I need to get everything sorted and organized. But it feels good to have some extra space to put even a few things that looks pretty. And it matches my mugs, LOL.

So inspiration is everywhere and I easily get inspired by just looking around me. And last, but not least, I always get inspired by simple litttle antique doll quilts.


What inspires you?

11 comments:

  1. YOU(VBG)
    judy j
    http://hardincountykeepsakes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I set myself up for that one, didn't I? LOL. Judy, I honestly wasn't fishing . . . but thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are so many things that inspired me. I love to look in quiltmagazines, but outside in the nature there are also so many beautiful colors that matches. I love the autumn colors very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a large stack of quilt magazines and books which inspire me but color really speaks to me! I like strong designs and clear colors, not much for pastels but I do like faded antique quilts. Somehow I have to identify with the color or design. Sometimes it reminds me of my grandparents' time and that's all it takes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh - I was going to say YOU inspire me but someone beat me to it! Like you - I'm always looking, too! But I've curbed my shopping quite a bit - time to declutter at this stage of my life - but then again, I could leave it all just to get even with my kids! How's that for thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wouldn't they love that! We have a pretty small house. My husband always wants to declutter more too--thinks we're going to move to a condo when we retire (not for years though). I am planning on moving to a BIGGER house with more space for my sewing and junk after my kids finish college. Wonder how it will all turn out LOL. Who'll win??

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your blog and thought I would comment on this one...Just the other night we were watching a movie ( James Bond) and I see the floor and walls and had to jump up and get a pen and paper to take notes...I think I shocked my hubby...but also reading blogs and quiltmags, outside and in photos when you didn't realize that you have cature colors that would make a beautiful quilt...I could go on but I think you get the point - inspiration is everywhere...Karlene

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a wonderful post...I'm always looking for inspiration everywhere. Mostly magazines, quilter blogs and antiques inspire. I love antiques as a place to show off a quilt. Your new cupboard is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found your blog & have enjoyed reading these most recent posts. Ditto to what everyone else has said about inspiration. I love reading blogs & seeing what others are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I get inspired by blogs...I am completely drawn to scrap quilts. The scrappier the better....preferring anything EXCEPT green. There is a thrift store close to me that sells old magazines for a quarter. I LOVE the old quilt magazines. Wow, what they could do without rotary cutters and the like.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm inspired by lots of the same things that you are :0) I just LOVE the antique quilts in your post! Your new cupboard also is wonderful - definately better with the dark knobs.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you're thinking . . .

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails