Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Two Quilt Shows in One Weekend!

The weekend before last I attended 2 quilt shows, each as different as night and day. The first one, The Fine Art of Fiber, was held at the Chicago Botanic Garden, one of my favorite stomping grounds (literally--I walk there all the time). The gardens were a lovely backdrop for this unique show that was hosted by Illinois Quilters, Inc., North Suburban NeedleArts Guild, and the Weavers Guild of the North Shore.







The show featured more than 150 pieces, including quilts, various types of needle arts, knitting, weaving, wearable art, dolls, and jewelry. There were also vendor booths selling a variety of quilted, woven and knitted items. What I love about this show--I attend every year--is that the quilts featured are so very different from the type of quilts I make--most are modern, bright, versatile and completely non-traditional. There were a few traditional quilts thrown into the mix, but the fun part is seeing just how creative some of the quilters get with color and fiber.













This is a  really neat I Spy quilt, with the smallest pictures I've ever seen. If I had one of these to look at every day, I'll bet it would keep my brain active and I'd start remembering more . . .



Here I am in front of one of my favorite quilts, wearing a really fake smile, I don't know why. Ingrid told me to say "CHEESE" and I listened to her. After I got home and looked at the photos I decided I was probably drawn to it because it matched what I was wearing! I really do love red and blue . . . .


Here are a few more of my favorite quilts:


Can you believe the quilting on this one?? It was a rather small quilt too.




I LOVE LOVE LOVE this quilt!







Here's Ingrid standing in front of one of HER favorite quilts (she thinks now that I do a little applique I'm going to make one of these for her someday. I told her uh-huh, SOMEDAY):





I wanted to buy this beautiful woven jacket, but it cost $465.00 . . . .


I really want to learn how to knit before I have grandchildren--but hopefully that won't happen any time soon. Isn't this little sweater sweet?





That's it for now. Check back later this week.  Next post:  What I saw at the other quilt show that helped me come to a BIG decision I've been toying with for awhile.

8 comments:

Julie-Ann said...

Oh, my gosh, Kathy - The first quilt picture is from a magazine pattern published last fall and the quilt is named "Zen." I have it sitting out on my dining room table all in pieces right now! How funny is that? I had the magazine pattern and bought the bundle of fabric to go with the pattern at the Chicago Quilt Show last April! What a surprise to see the completed quilt on your blog! And, at a show no less!

Kathleen Tracy said...

Julie-Ann, It's a sign that you're supposed to keep working on it . . .

Ingrid said...

Oh, so I guess you haven't started making that applique quilt for me yet. That's ok. Christmas is is more than a month away. You have plenty of time. LOL!

Jocelyn said...

Beautiful pictures. I love to visit other quilt shows this way. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Kathy,
Wonderful pics of the Botanic Show. I had forgotten about this show; ah, next year, right? For the first time I attended the Sewing and Quilt Expo in S'Burg...lots of neat things (spent 3 hrs and $$$!) this past weekend. Tara Lynn Darr of Sew Unique Creations had a lovely booth...oodles of Civil War repro fabric. Eye candy! Kathy are you planning on playing a role in the Rosemont Quilt Fest next Spring? Hope so! Sue McQ

Kathleen Tracy said...

Sue, I won't have a book to promote yet, so no book signings like last year, but I'll definitely be there walking around. Tara had a booth at a show in Indiana last summer and I picked up quite a bit of fabric there myself.

antique quilter said...

the little dresden plates is from a bom Pinwheels offered with the Japanese fabrics that they sell
isn't it amazing!
I LOVE that quilt too!
great pictures....I love looking at any style quilts always inspiring and
fun to see.
Give me my repros though and I am very happy but I can appreciate any quilts.

Renate Bischoff said...

It seems, you and Indgrid had a very nice day!
Thank you for the wonderful pictures.
Renate

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails